Can anyone identify this one? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

eBob

Airman
Sep 11, 2021
a downed German bomber in Stalingrad - but can you help me identify it?

IMG_0921.JPG

thanks - I think you're right - P version explains the nose which I didn't think was right for a DO17.
Thanks. Could be a good candidate for my next crashed plane diorama ;)
If I can find a good 1/48 kit

well it must also have crashed at some point. But yes... I think you can see both tail fins - and there's nothing from the cockpit backwards - so the entire fuselage is missing/destroyed with the tail off the right (left on the image).

I can't see a good P version kit, but ICM do a several other versions which may have to be what I use - the ICM kit has good engine and internal details which I need.

well it must also have crashed at some point. But yes... I think you can see both tail fins - and there's nothing from the cockpit backwards - so the entire fuselage is missing/destroyed with the tail off the right (left on the image).

I can't see a good P version kit, but ICM do a several other versions which may have to be what I use - the ICM kit has good engine and internal details which I need.

Yes, which suggests an explosion in the somewhere in the vicinity of the bomb bay. The aircraft was clearly on its undercarriage at the time....so, logically, it was hit while parked.

Notice how the fuselage appears to have "dropped" between the wings, which still have their main gear down?

Also, the starboard prop is in excellent condition (the port prop has been removed) while all the debris is laying around and beneath it - this indicates it was destroyed on the ground.

A plane wreck would have a debris trail behind it and the prop(s) would have been damaged.

Could have been deliberately destroyed by the crew, or there was a fire - could be a combo of crash landing and fire damage if it's made of aluminium
Anyway... it looks cool.

Could have been deliberately destroyed by the crew, or there was a fire - could be a combo of crash landing and fire damage if it's made of aluminium
Anyway... it looks cool.

It was destroyed explosively, hence the distance of the tail from the fuselage and the fact that it's considerably rotated compared to the direction of the main part of the wreckage.

If this was a crash landing that occurred on the landing strip, it would have bene cleared immediately rather than waiting to take happy snaps.

that looks right

It's possible that the middle photo in Post# 11 is the same aircraft, and same location, as the wrecked aircraft in the OP.
Note the position of the starboard prop blade, and the style of the buildings in the background. That said, the nose number is not visible on the wrecked aircraft, which has certainly been destroyed by explosives, very possibly deliberately destroyed on the ground to prevent use by the enemy.

I think I'll have to go with this kit.. it;s not a P - but I can pobably extend the nose easily enough since it's all damaged.
This kit has the engine and internal detail that is essential - I can't find a good kit of the P version.

icm48244 (1).jpg

what I said - it's too basic. I need the engines and internals more than I do the nose.

And it all fits now. The big buildings aren't the separate houses but a run-down building with destroyed central part, possible the debris of barracks. The close location to the airfirld isn't anything strange because it could have been its part.
Anyway a good catch. :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back