Canada Takes Bids For F-35s, F/A-18E/F's and Gripens....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Canadian missions will be the usual two; first, operating under conditions of overwhelming air superiority to drop bombs on some despotic African or Middle Eastern nation as part of some UN or NATO project; second, flying around Canada on training flights and the occasional patrol to wave off wandering Tupolevs. Both are missions we could do with HAL Tejas Mk. 1 ($23 million USD each).

There will be at least 2 more governments before an order is made so predictions are meaningless.
The smaller parties do not want an election during Covid. The next federal election must take place on or before October 16, 2023. My guess is Trudeau is going to call an election in spring 2022. He'll win a majority and the fighter procurement can carry on without a change of government setting us back again.

It's sad that it was Trudeau's father's government that procured the CF-18 and we're still flying them now! Back then, we started looking in 1977, In 1979 Trudeau lost the election, but new PM Clark didn't force a change. When Trudeau again become PM in 1980, the CAF chose the Hornet in 1980 and the first CF-18 was delivered to the Canadian Armed Forces in 1982. That's how fighter procurement should work today, five years from idea to delivery.

That may of may not be an apt description, Admiral, depending on how far back you want to look in your tradition.
But if your description fits Canada it certainly then fits a number of European nations that are buying F-35s.

The reality most likely, if the F-18 is selected, is that top RCAF pilots will exchange into USAF F-35 units, providing driver's seat experience which can strengthen overall effectiveness.

Pilot exchange with the USA is a proud, very useful, tradition, IMO. RCAF pilots flew USAF F-86s in Korea, killed Migs, and got shot down.

Last edited:

Perhaps - but would you risk the cornerstone of your airforces on a manufacturer who never supplied a major armed forces with combat aircraft? Not a bad aircraft (I think it has a lot of potential) but it seems the Tejas Mk.1 is a step backwards when compared to the Super Hornet or Gripen, 2 steps back when compared to the F-35. And if procured, how would sustainment work? Do you really think HAL would offer offset incentives? Remember the saying - "you get what you pay for."

The CH-148 is made by Sikorsky. In July 1929, Sikorsky became a part of United Aircraft and Transport Corporation (later United Technologies Corporation). Lockheed-Martin purchased Sikorsky from UTC in November 2015.

The Canadian order was placed in 2004, first flight was 2008, the first "interim standard" CH-148 were delivered to the Canadian military in June 2015. IOC was declared in June 2018.

So the only thing L-M can be tagged with is "overseeing the successful entry into service of the CH-148 Cyclone"! Anything before the end of 2015 is "someone else's screwup"!

That is splitting hairs, but sure. Sikorsky delivered the first six CH-148 before Lockheed-Martin took over - these six, plus two aircraft delivered by L-M in December 2015 were for training purposes only. The operational aircraft deploying to the RCN frigates, including the one that crashed off Greece were all L-M products. Besides, L-M presumably acquired the production facilities and employees, the engineers and designers of Sikorsky, so they also assume the liabilities. I imagine a formal statement from L-M after the crash that... "our hands are clean, this is someone else's screwup" wouldn't do their case for the F-35 any good.

But the Canadian government is not going to split the hairs you identify. L-M's helicopter killed six CAF members, L-M sued the Canada because it lost the warship competition. Meanwhile Boeing has almost 2,000 employees in Canada and in a strategic region (the west) where the Liberals need votes. Quebec and the Maritimes already have warship projects, and Ontario can be ignored as we vote Liberal by default. PM Trudeau has already voiced opposition to the F-35, and L-M's crash and lawsuit might seal the coffin..... my guess is Canada announces the F-18 Super Hornet in 2021.

Agree to a point - when you purchase another company, you inherit their liabilities, but...

I thought they WON the competition...

Ottawa awards design contract for $60-billion warship fleet to Lockheed Martin

Canada looks to lose about 850 million in F-35 work if they choose another aircraft. This is dated but I think still holds true.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stealth-fighter-contracts-1.3629403

Then at the end of the day, if anything but the F-35 is chosen, does Canada get the boot as an F-35 partner nation?
F-35 wins! Canada Chooses F-35A in Future Fighter Competition - Defense Daily

With Russia shaking the cobwebs of complacency across NATO and everyone rushing to upgrade their air forces I wonder what the lead time for F-35As for Canada will be. I expect the last CF-18 will retire in the early 2030s, over fifty years since it entered service - akin to taking a 1916 Sopwith Camel into the 1966+ Vietnam War. As for the size of the fleet, is there any other nation with a lower fighter to square km of territory ratio?

But no matter, it's good news. Now let's get the Halifax and Victoria classes replaced ASAP. AFAIk there's been zero chatter on the latter.

I believe an article mentioned first planned deliveries in 2025.

Although the CF-18 fleet is old, it's still a capable platform - I've done a lot of work with the CAF, I found the maintenance excellent and the people very professional.

The RCAF has had several appearances at Redding Air shows in the past, including the Snowbirds.

But their CF-18 demonstration was quite impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread