Canadian Forces Order new tanks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great ! So we bought British submarines that were outdated (in fact, so outdated that one of them caught fire before it could make it to Canada, killing one sailor and wounding an other) and now we are buying used tanks ?

I'm taking bets... Who thinks that we're gonna spend a few more billions only to restore them ? And that's if they don't blow up before !

Canadian tank 1 : "Ennemy in sight ! Everyone, open fire !"

BANG ! BOOM! BANG !

Mohamed : "Yussef, look at them. Their tanks are burning !"
Yussef : "And we didn't even shoot a single round !"

:rolleyes:
I don't think the subs were outdated

because it was only 6 billion and most of of it went to the military C17s ,heavy lift helos etc and paying down the national debt

If youre saying the surplus is 6 billion, youre incorrect, Im a follower, of CPAC, i watch house of commons and question period,

basically, our surpluss was at more like 10 billion(roughly), then Stephen harper cut close to 15 billion off Social Programs, blus some of the national debt has been paid off, so if you want to be technical it might be around 25-28billion, but yeah

It rather depends what the tanks are to be used for, I'd have thought. In afghanistan, for example, they are not going to be engaging in long-range tank-to-tank combat with modern, up-to-date tanks. They are going to be used for SP pillboxes with the potential for infantry support. It isn't entirely necessary therefore to fit the latest state-of-the-art stuff you'd need on the North German Plain...

I would have thought that what you want in Afghanistan and Iraq are tanks well armoured as to protect against RPG and other infantry AT weapons. I am afraid that a Leopard 1 isn't that tank.

Not sure. The Leopard II was designed to fight in Europe against the Russians but I am sure that the Leopard II later varients have been built to fight in the desert environment as well.

You guys are getting a varient of the Leopard II that was in use in the late 80s and early 90s. There are better varients out now.

I don't think the subs were outdated

Well, how do you call a sub that spend several months in Liverpool (or in an other English port) to be repaired and then sent to the Davis Ship Building at Lévi to "receive newer equipment" ?

That was the treatment of all of the submarines we bought... Except may be for the one that caught fire.

Man, think about it : the Royal Navy was about to dump all of those four submarines. And the gouvernment, acting like the jerks they are, bought them for several billions!

If that is not outdated for you, then I wonder what would be !

I think they cost much less than that we traded use of Suffield and Goose Bay i believe and about 800million . I suggest maybe the news your reading might be a tad senationalist . Do you know what the problem was with the subs

Do you know what the problem was with the subs

No... All I know is that they spent several months in Liverpool (or any other English port) to be repaired (don't forget that the RN first wanted to dump them because they were too old, so may be it was some deserved "maintenance work") and then were supposed to be sent to the Davis Ship Building to receive newer equipment.

All I know is that they could not take the sea to Canada without being repaired first.

They are pretty good subs not old at all its just the Brits mothballed them as they pursued a different path for their sub forces , I believe they were brought out of hibernation in Scotland somewhere.. From what I understand they had a short circuit due to sailing with open hatches and some intake of water via the hatch
Board of Inquiry - HMCS Chicoutimi | National Defence and the Canadian Forces
sorry its in English but there must be French version on the site but it has the results of the inquiry its pretty detailed

If my sources are sensationalist, yours are propaganda ! Come on, you took your info from the same guys who said the day of the HMCS Chicoutimi's incident that there were no victims of the fire before saying the following day that there was two victims : one dead and one wounded.

Day 1 : Fire onborad. No victims reported.
Day 2 : No fire. Two victims reported.

Don't believe everything that is written on the Army's website. Most of it was created by brainwashed officers... The same kind of blokes who thinks that we've got some of the best equipment on Earth. No kidding ! I heard a Canadian officer saying that on the news after the "rocket malfunction on YouTube" incident.

You got to see the truth in face. Those subs were outdated.

If my sources are sensationalist, yours are propaganda ! Come on, you took your info from the same guys who said the day of the HMCS Chicoutimi's incident that there were no victims of the fire before saying the following day that there was two victims : one dead and one wounded.

Day 1 : Fire onborad. No victims reported.
Day 2 : No fire. Two victims reported.

Don't believe everything that is written on the Army's website. Most of it was created by brainwashed officers... The same kind of blokes who thinks that we've got some of the best equipment on Earth. No kidding ! I heard a Canadian officer saying that on the news after the "rocket malfunction on YouTube" incident.

You got to see the truth in face. Those subs were outdated.
If I wnat to know about Batons your the man if I want to know about military equipment well your not. Can't wait for your next news update from Allo Police

Allô Police ? Man, stop being an ass !

First of all, Allô Police is a weekly paper about crime and justice... That paper doesn't talk about politics and national defence.

Secondly, I got contacts within the army... And I think my contacts can be more trusted than a website built up by a couples of brainwashed high-ranking officers of the Canadian army with the complicity of a few members of the gouvernment.

You know, the Canadian army kinda reminds me of the ex-USSR army... They had sh*tty equipment, the troops knew the equipment was sh*tty, the officers were saying it was not that bad, the high-ranking officers were saying that their equipment was the best on Earth and the politicians were doing the public-relation job by saying : "Our army is good. There was no incident onboard the K-19..." Next thing we know is that a bunch of sailors on the K-19 died due to radiations.

Now, my sources can be wrong, I can be wrong... And may be I see plots everywhere. But unless you (or someone else) can prove me wrong, I'll stick to my opinion.

Have a nice day.

Did you even read the article . Noooo. the Brits changed over from conventional boats to nuclear thats why they were in storage . We don't have the infrastructure to keep nuke subs. Ask any submariner the newer conventional subs are very good . Maybe your contacts in the army aren't familiar with the Navy . My military training taught me to asess before jumping to conclusions . An example being every air crash has those that jump to the incorrect conclusion before the facts are known all that does is make you look foolish . Read the article it tells all in a chronological manner with testimony from all involved . And if you believe that the investigation is a lie prove it with the input of your Army informants . Sometimes the truth is extemely dull . Now tell me how are you going to keep all the people involved quiet . Even your Army buddies can't keep their yaps shut

Yeah, yeah, you already said that the Brits changed their conventional subs for nuke ones. And I perfectly know that the Canadian army doesn't have the money to build/take care of nuke ships.

Now, the Victoria Class submarine is the Canadian version of the UK's Upholder Class (Type 2400) submarine built in late 1980s early 1990s and were withdrew from service in the Royal Navy in 1994. Before they entered service with the Canadian Navy, they were sent to BAE Systems (formerly Vickers Shipbuilding) at Barrow, UK to be refitted.

Source : Naval Technology - SSK Victoria Class Long Range Patrol Submarines

You're right, they're not old at all... They're only 17 years old. They're brand new... :rolleyes:

If you haven't noticed, I was trying to be sarcastic.

Oh, and I said it was the Davis Shipbuilding that was supposed to receive the ships to upgrade them, but I was wrong. In fact it was three companies...

- Lockheed Martin Canada
- Lockheed Martin Undersea Systems
- Northstar Technical Inc

I'm not an accountant, but I'm pretty sure it would have been less expansive to build brand new diesel-electric submarines than buy used 17 years old ships, pay for repairs in the UK, and pay again for refitting them in Canada. But I guess some politicians had buddies within the industry who wanted to make money on taxpayers' backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back