Cannon armed Hellcats

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ONE_HELLCAT

Airman 1st Class
May 26, 2008
Ventura County
I know there were a few of them, and my friend's looking for some pictures of them. If anyone has any pictures, that would be much appreciated.

The kind of a Hellcat armament was tested with F6F-3 late version (an other source says F6F-5).These 20mm cannons didn't become a standard equippent but many of F6F-5N and E night fighters were armed with them.Actually these Helcats were equipped with the 20mm cannons and .50 calibre machine guns combination for which the inboard .50 caliber MGs had been replaced by one cannon for each wing.Besides XF6F-1 prototype was a test bed for the XF6F-4 and was armed with four 20mm cannons instead of these six standard .50 calibre MGs and was never accepted for production.

The pic source -Detail Scale, Squadron/Signal Publication no.49 for Hellcat and some unknown.

Attachments

• Hellcat F6F-3 and cannon.jpg
    Hellcat F6F-3 and cannon.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Hellcat F6F-5 and cannon.jpg
    Hellcat F6F-5 and cannon.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Hellcat F6F-5N and cannon.jpg
    Hellcat F6F-5N and cannon.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Hellcat F6F-5E and cannon.jpg
    Hellcat F6F-5E and cannon.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 312
With a slow burning powder, perhaps like Hodgsdon 4831 a barrel is needed that is long enough to allow complete expansion of the burning powder. The installation may have required that that much of the barrel needed to protrude so the maximun MV was achieved.

This is news for me too, that any of the Hellcats were ever fitted with 20mm cannons. Does anyone have any accounts of the night fighters, that Wurger mentions above, using the 20 mm cannons and their effectiveness?
As for the barrel length, I just assumed that was due to the larger breech and loading mechanisms in the wing that required the barrel to protrude from the leading edge. Is it both?

My understanding was that very few of the nightfighters were fitted with 20mm, those that were tended to be called specials. Certainly the Hellcat Nightfighters used by the RN stayed with 6 x HMG.

The Hispano 404 cannon was a much bigger weapon than the 0.50 M2 used by the USN being roughly twice the length.

Close up detail from the book hellcat squadron signal book 26.

Will leave this link here for a day or two and then move to weapons thread as a great resource.

Attachments

• hell.JPG
    hell.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back