CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Q1W was an Imperial Japanese Navy designation.

The "Q" stood for Patrol Aircraft, the "1" meant it was the first type in that class and the "W" stood for Kyushu/Watanabe.

Another example: A6M - (A) Fighter, Carrier based, (6) sixth type in this class, (M) Mitsubishi.

The Q1W was also the first purpose-built ASW aircraft and it's design borrowed elements from the Ju88, which the Japanese had purchased a license for, but never built.

Now you mention it i can see the resemblance. Although it looks rather like a poor mans Dornier 17 Z than a Ju-88. The axis pact has always perplexed me, as to why they were so, well none co-operative. Ok, we know what happened with the Italians, but why Germany and Japan didnt make more of an effort sooner idk. Different agendas i guess, or just a lack of trust/understanding. And why were Japanese aircraft so poor compared to US & European aircrafts. Surely it wasnt just down to resources alone. They amassed a pretty good navy and airforce before the war. And why oh why were their tanks so bloody awful, yet they had the baddest battleship afloat..... Talk about a priority/co-operation breakdown between the 3 forces. Army/Navy/Airforce.

Japan didn't have a separate, independent air force. The IJN and IJA both had their own air arms and so there were only 2 forces. However, the lack of cooperation between them certainly beggars belief.

Japanese aircraft were some of the finest in the world. The quality may have started flagging as soon as the home islands fell under the shadow of the B-29, but their designs were solid.

Their tanks were designed for a different type of warfare, fast infantry support against inferior enemies meant they never needed to up their game and when it came to island warfare later on, tanks weren't practical.

They did have heavier tanks and these were held in reserve (along with thier newer aircraft) for the defense of the home islands. They even went as far as to purchase a Tiger I tank along with licensing, but it was commandeered from by SS Panzer Abteilung 101 during the Normandy landings.

From your collection? If its that important to you why are you posting it on the Internet?
I share my photo collection how I see fit, on the net and in print. The more folks who get to see this kind of thing, the better. That is what is most important to me, and that is why I choose to post some of my collection on the internet. Please do not misunderstand; I do not mind that people take images I have posted on the net and post them elsewhere, so long as credit is given. It's a very simple and plain matter of courtesy. If you find an image on the internet, or take it from another source, such as a book or magazine, and present it elsewhere, the least you can do is mention the source.

Unfortunately, in this day and age courtesy is a quality all too lacking, especially when it is so easy to grab an image from one place (in this case, a website) and put it someplace else. Perhaps it's just a case of oversight, something which we are all capable of. But that in itself is a form of discourtesy. I myself have posted images, forgetting to furnish a credit. I usually rectify it as soon as I realize what I've done, but I have in fact done it and can understand when it happens. A large number of people on forums are in a constant race to post the coolest stuff, and quite often do not think to post the source of said stuff. They simply say "look what I found!".

In this case, I happened to come across an apparent oversight and said something about it. Am I angry? No, but I am naturally disappointed.
And yet ironically you have had to remind certain other posters as moderator to quote their sources many times. Just a little bit of hypocrisy on HIS end?
A little late to the party I know,but still worthwhile pointing out...o_O

And yet ironically you have had to remind certain other posters as moderator to quote their sources many times. Just a little bit of hypocrisy on HIS end?
A little late to the party I know,but still worthwhile pointing out...o_O
Why are you digging into an 11 year old issue that basically had NOTHING to do with you?????

And why were Japanese aircraft so poor compared to US & European aircrafts.

Were they? The Zero was arguably the best aircraft carrier based fighter in service in 1941. The Japanese entered the war with an entirely modern fleet of fighters and bombers, to the same standards of performance and capabilities of those in service with the Luftwaffe, the RAF, RN FAA and the USAAF and USN.

Oh please, they didnt even have self sealing gas tanks or let their pilots carry parachutes. And construction wise are you saying they were as rugged as say Grumman? or Hawkers? Republic?.... Half a dozen rounds and they burst into flames.....
This is where being informed beats opinion.
Knowing that the Japanese designed their aircraft around the battlefield conditions unique to that particular theater will reveal that they didn't need to have more rugged aircraft or self-sealing tanks until they encountered U.S. aircraft that were designed for a different type of combat: two different design philosophies meeting head-on.

And Japanese pilots and aircrew most certainly did wear parachutes.

Awww your making me cry. Plz. I couldnt even print my opinion of yourself. Oh im sorry, perhaps god made you the go to guy for all matters warlike? Hardly something i'd like to brag about myself. May i suggest getting a life and perhaps a woman instead being a creepy old guy on a second rate forum......

And dont bother going off on me any of you. I dont make personal comments i merely stick to opinion of which we are all entitled. What have you contributed to this world thats so great huh?....You know what, i dont even want to be part of such a egotistical site. So fuck you and your ugly wife. Assholes....
Tossing out insults and then saying that you don't, in the same post is a little telling, isn't it?

Sorry that this second-rate forum, which relies on an exchange of facts and information doesn't measure up to the Warthunder kiddie fantasy sites you're used to.

Perhaps you should stay in those realms where your half-baked theories and ridiculous misinformation on how WWII might have been would be better received?

Buh-bye.......again Smokey

He will be back.

Probably today. He is your perfect example of an internet troll. His knowledge is lacking. Which in itself is not a bad. No one knows everything. It is his unwillingness to admit when it is lacking, and then to act like a tool when called out on it that is bad.

So Smokey when you read this, as I am sure you will...

You had every opportunity to get a 2nd chance here. You were told to simply contact the staff, and request your account be reopened. You ignored this. All you had to do was act descent and not like a troll. You are incapable of this.

Do us all a favor. Stay away. Don't waste our time by creating a new account. We will know. We have administrative tools that tell us when this happens. We also will know by the way you post, and your lack of tact and decorum.

Last edited:
And Japanese pilots and aircrew most certainly did wear parachutes.
I was under the impression that early pilots didn't carry 'chutes to save weight and as a matter of pride. It was only later when the losses started to stack up that the crews were ordered to wear them. Am I remembering wrong?

I was under the impression that early pilots didn't carry 'chutes to save weight and as a matter of pride. It was only later when the losses started to stack up that the crews were ordered to wear them. Am I remembering wrong?
The Japanese pilots and aircrew wore parachutes long before WWII - the only pilots who did not wear parachutes were pilots who flew Kamikaze missions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back