Carved from Olive wood de havilland mosquito aircraft ( Our Mossie )

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pedropete

Recruit
Well it has been a few months now with all the restrictions but progress has been made slowly. The pictures showed the Mossie in a carved out shape from a huge olive stump around 3-400 years old you can tell this by the red colour. The only tools used is a Chain saw for the stump and a small band saw for the parts also a very small drill 1-2mm bit. Cutting and shaping this olive wood is no mean feat the wood is hard and soft in places which did surprise me a little being this old, it would break out over the grain so had to discard a lot of pieces. What I generally do is to bake the parts in the oven for an hour to remove any moisturised sections and to kill any wood boring insects. The multi role combat fighter Mosquito was mainly made from wood as we know but this little beauty is 100% wood I made a couple of mistakes and had to redo some parts mainly undercarriage. The cockpit area was also a challenge as that is a completely different part of olive wood so I had to hollow out the shape by hand for it to sit on the fuselage but all good now not sure if plastic would look better. I still have many hours of work adding the bomb bay to finish her on the final details which is now going to be very fiddly. It was mentioned by a friend to add a rocket section under each wing and also to have a truck carrying the bomb load which I may have to look up re-bombs size to the aircraft it's very hard to imaged how many hours this girl has taken to get to this shape just using your hands loads of coffee & tea a few swear words here and there well a lot really. Now I need to name her but what de haviiland mosquito (15).JPG de haviiland mosquito (17).JPGde haviiland mosquito (29).jpgde haviiland mosquito (36).jpg

Attachments

• de Havilland Mosquito (3).jpg
    de Havilland Mosquito (3).jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 162
  • de Havilland Mosquito (20).jpg
    de Havilland Mosquito (20).jpg
    198 KB · Views: 171
  • de Havilland Mosquito (12).jpg
    de Havilland Mosquito (12).jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 181
  • de Havilland Mosquito (14).jpg
    de Havilland Mosquito (14).jpg