Catch-22 B-25s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flyboy2

Senior Airman
Mar 10, 2008
Las Vegas, Nevada
Ok so I just finished reading the novel Catch-22 and was just wondering if anybody knew what type of B-25's Yossarian and the rest of the bomber crews flew. I didn't say directly in the book, so I was just wondering if anybody had a good idea. I need to know for a report so if you could respond quickly....

It was a variety of B-25s that were used for the movie. One of them, "Vestal Virgin" is now flying as "Executive Sweet".

Attachments

• DSC_9236.jpg
    DSC_9236.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 396
. Find out what units flew 25's in Italy probably late 43 -mid 44 and go from there. For the movie if recall they got most of the 25's in the US and flew them to Spain don't think they were really particular about the type

What do you mean by the best.... best depiction of a bombing mission? or something else.... I'm not interested in the movie if it has dirty scenes and bad language.

Heller's masterpiece. One of the best books about war and the people in it. Stands in the same line as "Im Westen nichts Neues" and "The forewer war". Heller once said people often complained that he newer wrote a book that good again. His answer was "Who has?". :lol: I've seen the movie probably a hundred times - it was the first time I heard of Alan Arkin and he made good films (Does anybody know "The russians are coming, the Russians are coming"?) The whole cast of the movie is excellent by the way.

The type of Bomber really is unimportant (no offence Flyboy), even to an aviation fan like me. The bombers are just vehicles for his story and he uses the B-25 because he has flown on them. A writer should always write about things he knows (Haldeman once said).

FlyboyJ, I didn't know the second and third picture in your post. Do you have more of the? Especially the last one is great.:!:

Krabat

"Catch 22" is a great novel. Probably one of the best. Heard he figured out who and what everyone did by drawing it all up on a bedsheet in the bedroom of his apartment. A great book about the depersonalizing affect of beaurocraticies.

Think the movie was average, but not by any fault of it's own. It suffers from the same problem "The Thin Red Line" has, namely, how do you turn a brilliant book into a watchable movie? It is extremely difficult.

I would give "Catch 22", as a movie, about 2.5 stars on a 4 star rating. That is for the movie itself. As for the flying scenes, I'd go whole hog. There is some great flying scenes in that movie. Especially the opening scenes with the takeoff and one wheel landing. Brilliant.

Also, I think it was shot in Mexico.

I think what makes Catch 22 so special is that it really is an anti-war movie, not simply a war movie that calls itself anti-war. That makes it difficult to watch, it's not what you would expect of a movie with bomber aircraft and people in uniform.

Krabat

Heller's masterpiece. One of the best books about war and the people in it. Stands in the same line as "Im Westen nichts Neues" and "The forewer war". Heller once said people often complained that he newer wrote a book that good again. His answer was "Who has?". :lol: I've seen the movie probably a hundred times - it was the first time I heard of Alan Arkin and he made good films (Does anybody know "The russians are coming, the Russians are coming"?) The whole cast of the movie is excellent by the way.

The type of Bomber really is unimportant (no offence Flyboy), even to an aviation fan like me. The bombers are just vehicles for his story and he uses the B-25 because he has flown on them. A writer should always write about things he knows (Haldeman once said).

FlyboyJ, I didn't know the second and third picture in your post. Do you have more of the? Especially the last one is great.:!:

Krabat
Krabat 42, I liked both movies!That" Cattch 22" i was actually anti-war, made me think about it all the more. - KarlEmergency! Emergency! Everyone to get from street!

Steven Ambrose spoke to Heller and asked if the characters in the book were based on people in the USAAF that Heller had flown with. He (Heller) said absolutely not. He only had praise for his fellow airmen.
That said, I really enjoyed the airplanes. And Paula Prentiss is not hard on the eyes.

"I yearn for you tragically."-Chaplain Tapman

Krabat
Russians are coming is crazy.

Well, Captain Major Major got a promotion. So, please salute the Major...

BTW- notice the photo on the wall of Major Major Major's office. Watch through the cut what happens to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back