Cessna SkyCourier Debuts At Oshkosh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes PX do operate Dash 8's but AirLink (ND) had an ATR-42 operating from Madang for a couple of years.

Still don't see it being a problem, unless this has actually been reported on or the pax are mighty impatient. At NSN ATRs and Dashes are turned around in half an hour. Once pax are boarded on the '72s the pilots are told they can switch on Hotel, so pax have AC before most of them have sat down. The Dashes have their APUs running during boarding.

I am lad to hear my experiance with early ATR-42 & 72's was not uncommon. The French Company was very difficult to deal with in 1985-86, and sounds like they have the same great Customer Service. We had to call them very early in the morning our time (Detroit) to even get them to answer a phone call on an urgent matter that had grounded 3 or the 5 examples we had in the fleet at the time.

But eventually they were better A/C to operate than the 15-20 year old YS-11's they replaced.

They haven't improved much. ATR customer service is the pits compared to Bombardier's or back to De Havilland Canada now.

The new Cessna SkyCourier showed up at the Oshkosh EAA fly in and Fedex announced they have ordered 50.

Just think, it is 2021 and we are building new design aircraft with fixed gear and strut braced wings. With 19 seats, it's practically a DC-3, but except for the engines, less advanced by 1935 standards.
View attachment 633795
I think you'd find the cockpit avionics, not just the engines, to be a considerable upgrade from the DC-3.
With payload being more important than speed, the external wing struts and fixed gear are the way to go. Lighter than a fully cantilevered wing and retractable gear. It's a fatter Twin Otter built expressly for modern shipping.

only new things Cessna is offering here are more composite structures and glass cockpit - both things for sure will be loved by customers in low cost utility sector . Except of and tail this this is exact copy of An-28/PZL M-28 - oh yes and no STOL capabilities...
1628537185140.png

Don't quite understand what you mean by that but the aircraft has a US TCDS.

View attachment 635514
I do not think there is one Let-410 or 420 is the US even though the FAA may have approved the Type Certificate. 1200 have been built with less then 320 still around the world. The below quote is from 2016 and numerous accidents, all with fatalities since with two fatals in the past three months.
"The Let L-410 Turbolet has experienced
118 accidents with 428 fatalities"

True but most of them operate in third world countries with pilots and maintainers that have, at best, third world qualifications. Many were exported from Europe when they were due for major maintenance and that maintenance was never carried out. Many of those countries have pilots who believe it flew in so it will fly out.

Add to that operating in those countries is far more hazardous than in the USA. The USA has runways that are good (one DHC-6 I know of landed on a large runway that was serviced by Dash-8 and F-28 aircraft daily) and the pilot felt a hard jolt just after touchdown - when he climbed out he saw the nose gear was tilted back 30 degrees. Further inspection found a "bottomless" 2m/6ft dia sink hole in the runway that was not visible on approach - they closed the airport for months to fix it), navaids that work (and all the time - it is no fun being on long final approach in shit weather in pre GPS days and have the ground navaids you are depending on all fail because someone forgot to put fuel in the generator), good fuel, no one shooting at you, good weather forecasting, weather that seldom changes unpredictably (except in tornado alley), etc, etc, etc. A lot of third world countries have high temperatures with very high humidity and that is very conducive to airframe and engine icing at far higher temperatures than usually found in the US and which unqualified pilots are not trained to recognize or correct. Add to that many operators would rather carry cargo than fuel so there is insufficient fuel for a safe diversion. Now add to that one way runways where there is no possibility to do a go around and you start to get the picture.

I would expect the same aircraft maintained and operating under first world conditions to be no more troublesome than its contemporary equivalents.

Last edited:
True but most of them operate in third world countries with pilots and maintainers that have, at best, third world qualifications. Many were exported from Europe when they were due for major maintenance and that maintenance was never carried out. Many of those countries have pilots who believe it flew in so it will fly out.

Add to that operating in those countries is far more hazardous than in the USA. The USA has runways that are good (one DHC-6 I know of landed on a large runway that was serviced by Dash-8 and F-28 aircraft daily) and the pilot felt a hard jolt just after touchdown - when he climbed out he saw the nose gear was tilted back 30 degrees. Further inspection found a "bottomless" 2m/6ft dia sink hole in the runway that was not visible on approach - they closed the airport for months to fix it), navaids that work (and all the time - it is no fun being on long final approach in shit weather in pre GPS days and have the ground navaids you are depending on all fail because someone forgot to put fuel in the generator), good fuel, no one shooting at you, good weather forecasting, weather that seldom changes unpredictably (except in tornado alley), etc, etc, etc. A lot of third world countries have high temperatures with very high humidity and that is very conducive to airframe and engine icing at far higher temperatures than usually found in the US and which unqualified pilots are not trained to recognize or correct. Add to that many operators would rather carry cargo than fuel so there is insufficient fuel for a safe diversion. Now add to that one way runways where there is no possibility to do a go around and you start to get the picture.

I would expect the same aircraft maintained and operating under first world conditions to be no more troublesome than its contemporary equivalents.
Turbolet - claustrophobic cockpit without chance for fast crew evacuation, non-ergonomic controls layout, and on the top of it - Walter engines with some "imperfections" in lubrication system. I also agree that maintenance quality factor is serious contributor to the accident number for this type.

I do not think there is one Let-410 or 420 is the US even though the FAA may have approved the Type Certificate. 1200 have been built with less then 320 still around the world. The below quote is from 2016 and numerous accidents, all with fatalities since with two fatals in the past three months.
"The Let L-410 Turbolet has experienced
118 accidents with 428 fatalities"
Well then the fact is the FAA is not preventing these aircraft from being operated in the US, despite none being here and despite it's miserable safety record.

I thought all the DHC line were owned and produced by Viking now but see on Viking Air - Wikipedia that Viking created a new De Havilland Aircraft of Canada for the Dash's. Good to see the old name resurfacing.
Yup, I can't remember exactly when but we got a wee note from Bombardier that from that point on the paperwork was gonna be De Havilland Canada letterheaded. Our paper manuals were updated over time, but it wasn't such a drama as our manuals are all online now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back