Chance encounters with Warbirds...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All i get are C-17's KC-10's and KC-135's but living so close to Mcguire AFB its normal but around airshow time the Blue Angels practice right over the house which is a great sight!

Chief,

In the mid 70's I was in and out of WillowGrove quite a bit. At that time they used to have about 6 Warbirds on static display near whatever the main road was that went by the base. I never got a chance to walk over to them but as I recall they had an ME-262, and either a 109 or 190 sitting there as well as some I just don't recall. Just wondering if they are still there, if so, I might want to take a ride since I now live in NJ..

Thanks

FAC

I have seen a Mirrage III and a Cheetah flying and a Avro Shackleton. I have flown in a Ju-52 one year on a airshow that they held here at our local airport. Have seen a Puma Helicopter, Orex helicopter (upgraded Puma), a Aluette III and a Rooivalk Ground Support Helicopter.

Wish to see some Warbirds soon and see some airshows but they are to far from my town and I work 7 days a week 6 and a half hours a day so have very little time.

When I was in South Eastern Colorado on Saturday there were 3 L-29s sitting in an old hangar. I was told they fly on occasion. One was entirely covered so couldn't get a photo of that one.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 108
Ouch. I would think they would want to get that d@mn thing outta there in a hurry. Anyone who has picked up a tumbleweed knows that it can create a huge mess. While sweeping up after them is bad enough, wouldn't want one of my turbine powered prize possessions to suck up one of those babies?

Agree, but the L-29 is a pretty robust bird, the original operators would put them under horrible conditions and they would just keep running. They actually had the intakes to these guys covered and one in the corner was entirely covered. I learned yesterday that the one which was entirely covered was a "Super Delfin," an L-29 with a J-85 (This is a mod done only in the US).

well considdering South Africa's role in WWII arial warfare and your location you're not doing too bad :lol:

Yes we have a few WW2 warbirds and we also had P-51's that we used when we fought in North Korea with the UN and the US. I do not know where they are today and we had a few Spits, Hurricanes and also B-25 bombers and Lanc's and Oh yes some Mosquito's, the one that took the first picture of Auschwitz Consentration camp that was a South African Re-con Squadron.

The sad thing is that there are not many left of the WW2 era aircraft and most were given back to the UK or were destroyed. The role the South African Airforce played During WW2 were not too bad and did there part like all the Allied airforces.

Today USAFA football is playing Brigham Young - the game started with a fly-by from a pair of F-15s and then a follow up by a B-1B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back