Cheap Air Brush Compressor in UK?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vinnye

Senior Airman
Dec 28, 2009
Barnsley, UK
Hi, returning to model making after many years !
I have been given an Old Humbrol Airbrush set by a friend and feel obliged to try to use it!
It is a single action syphon type that can work from air cylinders / canister or via compressor.
I have found a Company in the UK that has 2 cheap air compressor - one with a tank and one without!
My question is are they worth bothering with or are there better and not expensive other options?
Airbrush Compressor Archives - BartSharp Airbrush

The first one (£52) looks identical to one I just got from Amazon here in the UK. It was sold under the name of FOBUY and it came with THREE airbrushes and lots of accessories for only £65 including postage and packaging. I had to wait 3 weeks for delivery (tracking it I could see it came from an Amazon warehouse in Germany). - UK plug, moisture trap, adjustable pressure, nice and quiet operation. It works with my old DeVillbiss airbrush a treat. - The airbrushes that came with it seem okay - only one has a gravity-fed cup. One has its own airline of a different diameter to that supplied with the compressor but it has an adapter included that works fine. The instructions that come with it are very basic and a bad English translation - but there are hundreds of Youtube Videos on using airbrushes and compressors out there (there is a very good one on how to improve cheap airbrushes). I've only had it for a week, so can't comment on its reliability. It is all cheap "made-in-china" stuff, but like you, I had not used my own compressor before (spent a fortune on propellant over the years!) and I figured if I don't take to it at least I haven't spent a lot of money. - Heres a photo of what you get - You do NOT get the airbrush in the top black box (that's my old DeVilbiss) or the metal propellant can adapter on the right. - To set the pressure you push in the middle of the black knob and then rotate it. Compressor cuts off when the pressure is reached and starts again as soon as the pressure goes down. I've never used a compressor with a tank so can't really comment on their advantages.

airbrush2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys!
I like the look of the Amazon bundle, cant have too many brushes and options!
But, I am leaning towards a UK supplier in case I need any support?
Yes Dinger - you did well!

I've used Everything Airbrush a number of times over the years, and their service and back-up is excellent.
They have a range of compressors, with one basically the same as shown for around £60. They also have various airbrushes, with their own AB / AS series 'budget' 'brushes being inexpensive, but good, and can offer 'packages with 'brush and compressor etc.

I think it was Badger airbrushes they used to make an adapter that screwed onto an automobile tire valve stem and let you use it as an air tank.

I suppose you could get a cheap bicycle pump, cut the hose off it and use that to adapt an airbrush to run off a tire.

The problem with using a tyre, or a propellant can, is that the pressure quickly drops during use. Standing a can in a jug of hot water helps. But the overall cost of cans over time is prohibitive.
Obviously, it depends on how often a compressor is going to be used, but it should pay for itself, compared to the cost of cans, in the first year.
Geo is right - that compressor is basically the same as those being sold under 'branded' labels for twice the price.
Look on e-bay, and you'll find various deals, many that include an airbrush (albeit a 'cheap' copy, but they work), for around £50 to $80, but look for a UK supplier.
That said, the company I mentioned earlier is not that different in price, and has the benefit of back up services etc.

If you have a mechanical bent, I have heard that you can build one using an old fridge compressor but I have no idea how to go about it..

Might make you laugh this, but, in my naivete I moved-up to my "NEW" 2nd compressor, only to be told...... "It's a Bloody Fridge motor"

I bought it around 2000/2001 from Comet-Miniatures in Lavender Hill, Battersea, London.....

....... this , back when the official U.K Tamiya importer & BEATTIES chain-store-owners, were going 'tits-up'.

Even back then, in a "sale" they were going for £225.00 (normal price, circa £349.00), so I snapped it up "NEW" all strapped-up & sealed.

Lovely unit, dead-quiet at night, but scares the Bejesus out of ya, when the 'Air-Tank' gets depleted & then replenishes - But at least it gives steady pressure.

I've also bought, since, (as my family circumstances changed & I became less affluent !), the same kinda compressor that both Airframes & dinger have described

Paid around a bullseye, but mine came WITH a tank (air-tank), which, like the Badger Million-Air-480 that I still own, allows smooth steady pressure/spraying.

Honestly, looking back with the benefit of hindsight, there is/was no need to buy a hideously expensive compressor (aka fridge-motor), like I did **

** (I just put it down to experience, it's no-loss, I still have it, but I don't have the Wife/Kids/Mortgage that I once did, either !)

Those little 'cheap' £50.00ish compressors do the job just fine, but SOME (like my cheapie), did also come with a Water-Trap as well as Upper-Tank.

I bought my cheapie £53.00 one around six-years ago now, as it takes up FAR less space than the 'Badger-branded' flash 480-1 (in the large room I'm in)

I remember that cheap (rubbishy) one that I'd bought out of Hannants Trafalgar.St (BEFORE Oulton), used to shake & jump like a pneumatic drill **

** (Jeeez, it was frightening & quite frankly not well made, unlike these others)

Get one WITH an external or "linked" tank IF you can, as the air-delivery WILL be much more regulated/steady, plus a Water-Trap is a blessing.

Another option is a refillable C02 tank. This can be purchased or leased. A 20lb refill is, according to a 2015 price, up to $25ish. The beauty of this set-up is no noise

I have a full sized air compressor in my hangar, as well as two portable air tanks, both of which leak too much to be of much use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back