Cheating or great idea (or old one)?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
In a separate thread discussing the colors, and application, for the camo of an Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik 1/72 Tamiya model I was left with the challenge of how to apply, not only the proper colors (solved), but being as close as possible to the camo pattern as is represented for the model that I want.

I decided to create a set of 'patterns' that will help to define the outlines as they are shown. So, I copied (creating a PDF file) the image that was provided and printed, with scaling, the image on a fairly thick paper.

What I have are multiple images that are the same size of my model and therefor I can cut out the pattern and use as masks. Haven't tried this yet (the painting); concerned a bit about the paint spray 'creeping' under the mask. But I suppose I can touch up? I have taped on of the masks to the right wing and it appears to be a close enough fit that with careful spray application I may be able to get a fairly sharp line. Another advantage is that I can use these templates to cover already painted areas for protection for the alternate colors.

As for the cheating comment. Would this be allowed in a GB submission?

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 155
I agree with Andy. The way of making masks for camo spots had been used a long time before the masking tape and Bluetack appeared. However it is a very nice and cheapest way for making camouflage and still in using by many modellers.
Good on you! :thumbright:

I've used a different makers masks on my GB B.P. Defiant. They are a bit finicky but the end result is far better than I could achieve. I've tried resizing the paint instructions to do as you are doing but my computer and printer hate each other

Rats, I cant read thee article due to our firewall but when I used it a number of years back it was not the best on curved surfaces, it was a pain in fact. Still better than I could have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back