Check this out... (Totally off-topic but really cool)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was at a thrift store today, and praying for some really wicked vintage hi-fi stereo gear, I passed up the 4-inch thick, 2 foot tall cheap speakers, passed up 12 VCRs, lame plastic cassette decks, all kinds of phones, and low and behold, ready to go, I took one last look and the quick sign of quality...

STAINLESS STEEL.

It was a vintage Walkman. I guessed on the spot extremely late 70's, early 80's and I was damn close. I picked it up for $1.08. Came with the cool belt clip and the neck strap, I was so happy I found something so unique. (If you don't know, I love odds and ends, especially electronics, but some things, like vintage meat grinders, are cool too.)

Took it home, tried everything in my power, it didn't work. I was dissapointed but for a dollar you can't go wrong. It had NO scratches to the naked eye, amazing for something so old.

After doing some research on it's model number, the WM-10, it was first released in 1983, and is to date the smallest (I've read several places) standard cassette player. It had numerous features that were innovative, and it's so small, it's slightly smaller than the cassette itself. You have to slide the body down to load and play the tape. So cool. It's about the size of a first generation I-pod. Very small.

I opened it up and prayed that my problem is the belt, and the good lord, it is. I found a site that has a belt for it. $5, and $5 shipping. I'm sure it's value is more than $11.08! 8) Although probably not worth too much, I'm curious as to what it goes for.

I did an eBay search and turned up a repair manual, and it alone was $30. So I don't know, it may be something rare, and in the shape it's in, it might be a gem. I won't sell it, because I'm very partial to my finds, but if anyone knows of a way I could find out the value, I'd appreciate any help. I don't even know the original price it cost in USD back in 1983.

There's one Sony I saw a picture of that's a dual cassette deck in Walkman form, really neat. Record and play on the fly. If I found one I'd have a grand use for it.

There's an article on it here, if you're bored and curious.

WM-10

Here's the pics. Took me about 5 mins to go through the source code and figure out the true URL. URL masking, clever.

wm-10.jpg

Closed, when not in use.

wm-10-expanded.jpg

Slid down, when playing the cassette and loading.

Neat find I say, and another thing for people to ask questions about when they go into my room. :)

I remember paying about $35 dollars for mine and it had an FM Radio1!!!! :lol:

There is no value on them today. You can get them for a few dollars. It is not like collecting stamps or coins.

Behold....! Our own odds and ends thread... '80's Walkman....memories...:lol: I used to have one as well, Black. Took me ages to get used to, always found a new trick that it could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back