China sub secretly stalked U.S. fleet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Unless there was no ASW activities going on at the time, no sonar, no SAR activity, I think it's possible, but from I understand during exercises like this there will be some type of ASW activity happening. If that be the case I really doubt any diesel, no matter how modern will be quiet enough to be detected somewhere, even its from the ships own sonar for navigation....

My opinion...

A nuke sub could maintain the speed. But not a diesel sub.

Those CBG's are plowing around at 20 knots plus, even more during air ops.

A diesel sub would not be able to sustain those types of speeds for long. And even then, the prop cavitation noises would give it away.

Of course if the CBG was on a course that would take it into the subs area, then its possible for the sub to position itself for a shot.

But as I said, could it in theory have been false broadcasting the noise for a US sub known by the Chinese to be in the area, as a test? I mean the Americans would hardly be likely to admit that the Chinese can now use tapes of US submarines as cover would they? Would the Chinese let the Americans know about it? Alternatively could the Chinese have run in beneath one of the US subs? How would that show up on a sonar? Any naval people here?

Maybe the Chinese sub driver just got lucky. He went looking in the area where the CBG was doing it's bit and they wandered in his direction (after a while). Agree a diesel can't hold the speed (even if it did for a while, the caviation would give it away) and there would be ASW work going on. There's always ASW work going on.

But luck? Maybe. Maybe he just hung around at low speed, always heading in the direction of the CBG and it doubled back on him. Possible.

Modern diesel subs can remain underwater without surfacing for weeks.

So perhaps the sub lay in wait in a known area by the Spratly Islands and let the CBG sail overhead. No that was Clancy.

I'm sticking with my theory. CBG knew. If those outer doors came open, I suspect there would have been a high profile accident or 100+ missing chinese sailors.

still think this is B.S.

have a good friend that was in a ( ? ) sub chasing/observing Chinese shipping in the straits and went into Chinese occupied waters and his sub actually went and tore through one of their underwater nets. the Chinese sent a truck load of armed ~ shipping in pursuit but they never found them...........this was back in the early 1980's. His sub went on these escapades for nearly a year

Perhaps as you said the Chinese Sub Driver got lucky, but I am not totally sure... Healz.

Agreed, bad tactics to base your ASW tactics on luck.

Still, the whole thing is pretty fishy, pardon the pun.

Yes, the thing is it would be like saying sorry, we have the best aircraft but we let a Ju-326 carry in a nuclear bomb over Washington!! They knew or there was more technology at work than meets the eye...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back