chrome silver technique

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
hey guys, I was browsing this guy's flickr stream and saw he has a unique way of doing polished aluminum on aircraft. looks like he primes the part with gloss black first, then puts on the chrome silver to make it a bit shinier. you think I oughta try that?

Flickr: dc_7c's Photostream

If he's using Alclad II they recommend a gloss black undercoat for all their range of metallic finishes. I've used them frequently and only prime with gloss black for their highly polished finishes like chrome,polished aluminium etc. All the others I apply over my standard grey primer.
Steve

I agree with the post above. That's the way it should be applied on models. The procedure is fine and gives a nice effect. However the chorme isn't the polished aluminium and it should be remembered about that.

does the same thing apply for enamel paints?

I've applied the gloss black undercoat to my DC-4. it'll be a bit before I can apply the polished aluminum

I've applied the gloss black undercoat to my DC-4. it'll be a bit before I can apply the polished aluminum

It's important that your undercoat has not only dried but also completely cured. Give it plenty of time! Alclad II is pretty hot stuff so several misted coats is the way to go.
Good luck
Steve

It's important that your undercoat has not only dried but also completely cured. Give it plenty of time! Alclad II is pretty hot stuff so several misted coats is the way to go.
Good luck
Steve

I used enamel, but thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back