Churchill visits Australia and Singapore July 1939

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
It might come as surprising considering the impact he had for their countrymen and military during both world wars, but Winston Churchill never visited Australia. Also, Churchill claimed to be shocked in Jan 1942 that Singapore had no landward offensive capability.

Churchill and the Fall of Singapore - International Churchill Society

"On the fifteenth (Jan 1942) he wrote General Wavell, Commander-in-Chief of ABDACOM (American-British-Dutch-Australian Command), about Singapore. "Please let me know your idea of what would happen in event of your being forced to withdraw into the island," requested Churchill. "How many troops would be needed to defend this area? What means are there of stopping landings (such) as were made in Hong Kong? What are defences and obstructions on landward side? Are you sure you can dominate with fortress cannon any attempt to plant siege batteries?" "

On 16 January, Wavell wrote him a most disturbing reply: "I discussed the defence of island when recently at Singapore, and have asked for detailed plans. He went on to say: "The fortress cannon of heaviest nature have all-round traverse, but their flat trajectory makes them unsuitable for counter-battery work. Could certainly not guarantee to dominate enemy siege batteries with them."

Churchill was clearly astounded, and greatly troubled, by Wavell's message. He responded: "It was with feelings of painful surprise that I read this message on the morning of the 19th. So there were no permanent fortifications covering the landward side of the naval base and of the city! Moreover, even more astounding, no measures worth speaking of had been taken by any of the commanders since the war began, and more especially since the Japanese had established themselves in Indo-China, to construct field defences. They had not even mentioned the fact that they did not exist."

As a nearly indepenent MP and critic of the government, let's have Churchill visit both Singapore and Australia to evaluate the territorial defences. Churchill can't claim ignorance of Singapore's situation. This being an aviation forum my hope is Churchill as PM will see the fallacy of leaning on Singapore, and instead look for RAF reinforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back