Classic Flighterts 2015

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
I have been away for the last week and will be for the next week with the airshow, but here is what I've been playing with for the last few days, as a bit of a teaser. Hopefully I'll get some pics to post after the show. I've got a favoured position, and as long as I'm not kept too busy, I should be able to get something.
WP_20150329_18_03_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20150331_14_40_46_Pro.jpg

Righto, between incident investigations and family visiting, I've finally had time to go through my photos.
Here are the few decent ones from Friday evening...
IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

Its a fibreglass replica. Not sure exactly who owns it.

Great pictures keep them coming.

Only thing that surprised me it looks very dry is there a drought in NZ at the moment I expected everything to be a bit greener.

Terrific fotos Aaron; was working in the car park on Friday, so missed most of it. Only went on Sunday owing to family stuff on Saturday, which meant I couldn't make it. The V 1 is a RC reproduction powered by a ducted fan; unlike the original it has flight controls to enable it to manoeuvre, but it looks the part. Nice to see Thingy flying the F-27 display again.

There has been a bit of a drought and there are fire restrictions in place at the moment, but it has rained of late. The Wither Hills always go a dirty brown in summer, but go green again with a bit of rain.

Its a fibreglass replica. Not sure exactly who owns it.

Thanks for the info - it's very convincing. I looked closely, to see if it was built on a converted FV432 or M113 chassis, but couldn't spot any clues - very well done replica indeed.

Thanks for the info - it's very convincing. I looked closely, to see if it was built on a converted FV432 or M113 chassis, but couldn't spot any clues - very well done replica indeed.

It's hard to pick, even up close most people can't recognise that its not 'real'

A question about the V1 replica - how does it land? Is parachute installed?

It just lands on its belly, it doesn't go that fast, so there's no real problem doing this.
It was made to a 75% scale for the fuselage, and 80% for the flying surfaces, and has less than 5 minutes of endurance. There are some fairly heavy gauge cables in the electrics due to the current draw of the 5 ducted fans. Unfortunately, they had to cut away portions of the cowling, as you can see in the photos because the venture effect of the fans caused it to collapse. From memory, the 5 fans give it about 40lbs of thrust

Great pictures keep them coming.

Only thing that surprised me it looks very dry is there a drought in NZ at the moment I expected everything to be a bit greener.

It has been drier than normal here this year. We had to put special procedures in place to counter the risk from starting engines, etc. Usually we do a burn-off of the pyrotechnics area, but it was too dry to attempt it this year, and we had a minor grass-fire after one of the static V1's was blown up. We did get a couple of days rain about a week out from the show, which helped a lot, but it is usually pretty dry around this time of year normally, so the colour of the hills is what you normally see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back