Cockpit Restoration (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dominic754

Airman
Sep 6, 2008
I maintain an airworhty B-17G. I am in need of photographs or any other official documents that would help me complete the restoration to as close to WWII condition as is currently allowed. The Fortress will be going into a private museum in the next month or so and the cockpit is first on my priority list of projects to be completed. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

I maintain an airworhty B-17G. I am in need of photographs or any other official documents that would help me complete the restoration to as close to WWII condition as is currently allowed. The Fortress will be going into a private museum in the next month or so and the cockpit is first on my priority list of projects to be completed. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Hope these help dominic, these photo's are from the B-17 Thunderbird that currently flys with the Commemerative Airforce. Also if you follow go to this link there is a erection and mantance manual that may be of some help.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/other-mechanical-systems-tech/b-17-manuals-5048.html

By chance may I ask what B-17 you are restoring? Ive got to get ready for work but if no one posts any more pictures I will see if I can dig some more up.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 153

If you're maintaining an airworthy B-17, don't you have the mainteance manuals? I know there's a whole chapter on the instrument system, how the cockpit is arranged and how to maintain the instruments.

Of course I have the mauals. However, they have been photo-copied so many times that those particular pictures are rendered virtually useless.

In answer to an earlier question the Fortress in question is "Fuddy Duddy". I'm reasonably sure that experienced Forum veterans are familiar with this aircraft. I am trying to do everything possible to keep the aircraft not only in airworthy condition but also re-create as much as possible the way that the "G" model looked when it rolled off of the line from Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, Ca. in 1944. Once again, any help would be greatly apperciated.

In answer to an earlier question the Fortress in question is "Fuddy Duddy". I'm reasonably sure that experienced Forum veterans are familiar with this aircraft. I am trying to do everything possible to keep the aircraft not only in airworthy condition but also re-create as much as possible the way that the "G" model looked when it rolled off of the line from Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, Ca. in 1944. Once again, any help would be greatly apperciated.

Hi Dominic,

I am very familar with this B-17 considering that it was used by the EAA for a while after there B-17 Aluminum Overcast was damaged in a landing. I live about 30 minutes down the road from the EAA musuem. I will see what I can dig up.

Paul

Great stuff again, Paul!
Dominic, there are also some internal shots on the web site for the National Museum of the Air Force (US), and for the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, U.K.
A publication that might also help, aimed mainly at modellers, is 'B-17 Flying Fortress. Part 1, Production Versions.', by Alwyn T.Lloyd / Terry D. Moore, a 'in detail scale' book, by Aero Publishers, Inc, U.S.A. and Arms and Armour Press, London and Melbourne. First published 1981 on, ISBN 0-8168-5012-7 for USA, ISBN 0-85368-500-2 for UK.
US Library of Congress Card No. - 81-67592.
This has shots of all internal stations, including the forward entry hatch/ compartment, most of which are factory photos.
I'll follow this with another post showing the inside of Duxford's B17G, 'Mary Alice', which, apparently, is as close to actual operational use as the restoration team could get.
Hope this is of some use.
Terry.

Here you are Dominic. The first shot is the bombardier's station in 'Yankee Lady', whilst the five shot compilation is of the inside of Duxford's 'Mary Alice'. I had to reduce these to for the forum page, but no doubt you can re-size/ print to requirements.
Cheers,
Terry.

Attachments

• B17 Interior.jpg
    B17 Interior.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 96
  • B17 Interior 2.jpg
    B17 Interior 2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 79
I have been very busy. The B-17 and the B-25 flew all last weekend so I was comitted to those evolutions. The museum is in its final stages of completion and I had to order drip pans and wheel mats for all of our aircraft.

Thanks for everything from everybody. The photos and links have been invaluable.

As time goes on I will figure out how to post photos of the restoration of all of our Warbirds.

Once again anything that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. I hope that I didn't ruffle any feathers. I have been tasked to keep these planes flying and keep them in Museum quality condition. To say the least it is a daunting responsibility.

I have been very busy. The B-17 and the B-25 flew all last weekend so I was comitted to those evolutions. The museum is in its final stages of completion and I had to order drip pans and wheel mats for all of our aircraft.

Thanks for everything from everybody. The photos and links have been invaluable.

As time goes on I will figure out how to post photos of the restoration of all of our Warbirds.

Once again anything that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. I hope that I didn't ruffle any feathers. I have been tasked to keep these planes flying and keep them in Museum quality condition. To say the least it is a daunting responsibility.

No problem dominic, If you need anything else let me know and I will try and find it. Like I said the EAA museum is right down the road from me and I do beleive they have a B-17 manual on public display that people can flip through thats different from the one Ive posted in the other thread. Also since they fly a B-17 I might be able to get some info through threre public library at the musuem. I will send you and email with my private email address also.

Cant wait to see pictures and all the best in your project
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back