Cold War Intercept

1950-1980 supreme interceptor?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Read my first post on this thread, Adler, I said point-interceptor ability. Not multi-role ability. Again - :rolleyes: . And I agree, and that was my point from the start as les asked "Is this from a land base?" and I replied with a yes, and he agreed the Lightning was the best 'cos this whole thread was land based interceptor.

By 1988, Gnomey, the Lightning was old. It was set to be replaced in the 70s but proved itself irreplacable so the RAF kept them until the last produced were basically falling apart. The British Government didn't consider the Lightning inferior to anything new, but they didn't want to spend anymore money on a new Lightning project that English Electric (then BAe) had proposed.

And I remember reading on this thread that the F-14's avionics are the most advanced in the world. I can't remember who said it ...but whoever it was, you're wrong.

The F-14D carries the Hughes AWG-9 fire control system with a range of 115 NM. It is an old style radar of mechanical movement. F-15Cs carry the Raytheon/Hughes AN/AP-63(V)2 fire control/radar system which has a range of 135 NM and uses AESA, a brand new system which makes the radar lighter and more efficient because it electrically scans. It's much-much-much more advanced than the AWG-9. Then the F-22 carries an even more advanced avionics system, the APG-77 which can detect an enemies radar at 230 NM, and detect an object at 125 NM. It also uses AESA. It does various things that Hughes couldn't even dream of in the 1970s when the AWG-9 was produced.

Alright pD I think we finally reached an agreement with one another. It took a while though. Thats what I like about you though, sometimes we get pretty hashed out on some topics but in the end we end up seeing eye to eye.

By the way when I said that the F-14 had the best avionics package of any interecepter I am right, it does and the Avionix package includes alot more than the AWG-9. It includes radios, radars, warning radars, weapons systems. The whole system combined in the Tomcat is the most advanced weapons system of an intercepter.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Alright pD I think we finally reached an agreement with one another. It took a while though. Thats what I like about you though, sometimes we get pretty hashed out on some topics but in the end we end up seeing eye to eye.

By the way when I said that the F-14 had the best avionics package of any interecepter I am right, it does and the Avionix package includes alot more than the AWG-9. It includes radios, radars, warning radars, weapons systems. The whole system combined in the Tomcat is the most advanced weapons system of an intercepter.

Actualy the Raptor has that spot, But it was very true 20 years ago when the F-14 was at it's prime. Don't get me wrong I think the F-14 is a better aircraft than the F/A-18 it's faster, more maneuverable, longer ranged and carries more ordinance. With a good systems upgrade it would be the plane to keep, of course I'd like to see the F-15 reincarnated with vectored thrust to. Realisticaly it would cost too much to do it esp with the JSF comming on line in just a couple of years. It's like the P-51/P-38 after the war, cost means means you give up that 10% added capability for the ease/cost of maintenance of a plane that just does enough.

wmaxt

As wmaxt said, when the F-14 appeared it's system was the most advanced. No doubt about that. But in today's age, the new F-15C system and F-22 systems are superior.

From an older discussion...

Yesterday I spoke to one of our tow pilots. He flew the F-101. I asked him if the aircraft could sustain Mach 1 without afterburner, his reply was "Not to ones I flew."

FLYBOYJ said:

Yesterday I spoke to one of our tow pilots. He flew the F-101. I asked him if the aircraft could sustain Mach 1 without afterburner, his reply was "Not to ones I flew."
i guess never listen rumour did you ask about climb rate or ceiling

pbfoot said:
FLYBOYJ said:

i guess never listen rumour did you ask about climb rate or ceiling

That I didn't, he was on his way out to fly so we didn't chat too much. I'll try to "accost" him the next time he comes into fly....

The P.1A (Lightning prototype) achieve Mach 1 without afterburners, Adler...in 1954.

Yes.

Just so no one gets confused, the P.1A could super-cruise like the F-22. The operational Lightnings could not.

Hmmm everything that I read said the F-22 was the first one that could do that. I may be wrong and if I am please correct me but everything I have ever read says the F-22 was the first one.

Maybe they mean first operational aircraft to achieve super-cruise. Because I think that much is true.

Since I didn't provide any source for my claim on the P.1A super-cruise;

"The resulting English Electric P.1A flew on 4 August 1954, and later exceeded Mach 1 on two unreheated and rather basic Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire turbojets."

The Encyclpopedia of World Air Power - Hamlyn Publishing - Bill Gunston (1980).

"The first prototype, designated the P.1, took to the air on the 4th of August 1954, piloted by Roland Beamont, EE's chief test pilot. Powered by Sapphire engines, on its third flight (on the 11th) it exceeded Mach 1 in level flight, the first British aircraft to do so. Reheat (afterburner) had not been used; supercruise was here a hell of a long time before the Americans and their ATF programme!"

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/history.html

Other interesting notes for the Lightning:

I believe I mentioned the lack of sales for the Lightning in another thread being due to the British government:

"While the P.1 had survived the Defence White Paper, export prospects practically disappeared. In later months, the government even went so far as to sabotage English Electric's own efforts to sell the aircraft to Germany - after frustrating and fruitless attempts to sell the aircraft to the Luftwaffe, EE discovered a government representative was actually telling the Germans not to buy the aircraft!"

The P.1B seems to have been super-cruise capable also:

"On the 4th of April 1957 the first P.1B flew. On this flight it also exceeded Mach 1 without using reheat. In July, the world air speed record (then at mach 1.72) had been broken."

Innovations of Lightning include many things but here's just two:

"The Lightning shared a number of innovations first planned for the Miles M.52 including the shock cone and all-flying tailplane, the latter described by Chuck Yeager as the single most significant contribution to the final success of supersonic flight."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back