Comparing P-38 v/s F-35

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to the report, they would modify their planned new carriers with catapults and arresting gear. The overall costs (taking a/c and vessel as a unit) would be significantly reduced and both the carriers and the a/c would be inherently more versatile and effective.

Of course, that will leave the USMC to bear the total cost of the F-35B program. I have very strong doubts that there will be any other customers for such an outrageously expensive a/c so compromised in combat effectiveness.

JL

According to the report, they would modify their planned new carriers with catapults and arresting gear. The overall costs (taking a/c and vessel as a unit) would be significantly reduced and both the carriers and the a/c would be inherently more versatile and effective.

Of course, that will leave the USMC to bear the total cost of the F-35B program. I have very strong doubts that there will be any other customers for such an outrageously expensive a/c so compromised in combat effectiveness.

JL
The only way the F-35B combat effectivness is compromised is if its operated in a VTO mode as discussed. In the STOVL its a jump ahead of the Harrier.

As far as forigen sales - time will tell, but there seems to be no shortage of buyers for the A model

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...e-f-35-tackles-pricing-issue-for-foreign.html

I'm not sure how credible this is, but it is interesting...

MoD to bin F-35B navy jumpjets in favour of tailhook birds? ? The Register

JL

Sadly, from my point of view, the article took an actual event out of context and misrepresents our real situation.

What has happened is that the UK Govt has followed the US lead and pulled funding for the F136 alternative engine. This engine was the product of a joint agreement between GE and Rolls Royce.

Rolls Royce also produces the lift fan and rear nozzle articulation gear for P&W's F135 STOVL engine model too.

What they appear to have done (the Daily Telegraph that is) is take RR's participation in the F136 and the fact that RR are responsible for the STOVL related items on the F-35B powerplant and mash them together into a single entity. Therefore, to them, the cancellation of funding for the joint RR engine means no STOVL powerplants to be built, ergo no F-35B's in British service.

Of course it doesn't mean that at all (weep!), all it means is that the UK's Lightnings will be powered by the F135 instead, still with RR built STOVL gear. The next page of the piece on the Register does point this out, it was the Telegraph that (as usual) got it all wrong.

Last edited:
The only way the F-35B combat effectivness is compromised is if its operated in a VTO mode as discussed. In the STOVL its a jump ahead of the Harrier.
[/url]

Actually the aircrafts combat effectiveness is compromised for the reasons I mentioned earlier, ie it has a smaller weapons bay than the A and C, this means it cannot now accomodate some of the weapons internally that were lined up for it and they will now have to be carried externally, which compromises the aircrafts LO (stealth).

Actually the aircrafts combat effectiveness is compromised for the reasons I mentioned earlier, ie it has a smaller weapons bay than the A and C, this means it cannot now accomodate some of the weapons internally that were lined up for it and they will now have to be carried externally, which compromises the aircrafts LO (stealth).

Not if the "weapons" are a lot smaller and lighter than made public. ;)

Air Force's smaller bomb is more versatile | Stars and Stripes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back