Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My wife was just telling me about this...what the F is wrong with the world today?!?

At least they were able to take the bastard alive. I mean, seriously...a 9-year old girl? Where's my baseball bat....

Last edited:
From what we are hearing a woman tackled him taking away some of his ammunition slowing him down. When he had reloaded enough time had been bought so that two men were able subdue him.
In the UK we have the George Cross which is the civilian equivalent of the Victoria Cross. If the US has a similar award I do hope someone awards it to that woman. Without her, heaven only knows what the casualty list would have been.

unfortunately they will to a psych eval and find he is himself a horrible victim and sentence him to therapy so he can once again be a productive part of society. me i say we can cure him for 25 cents...the price of a 45 slug!

Truly a sad story.
I truly hope this murderer is locked up for the rest of his life, at the very least and once convicted no one ever has to hear of him again!!!

Give up your guns America - it might help!

Oh and stop giving credence to people like Sarah Palin "Don't retreat - reload". A fine statement when you're fighting a common enemy, but not when your talking about internal politics.

That's the spin we get over here in the UK.

I'm sure you guys are right - but the question is if you did give up the right to carry arms would it help stop tragedies like this happening?
I suppose if you are intent on a crime like this, you would find a way to get a weapon.

We had a case over here where an MP (member of parliament) was attacked by a woman with a Samurai sword.

I know I'm not giving up mine, the bodies were still warm and the political bs started flying, not going to go into details becuase politics are off limits but it's frigging disgusting.

i am going to try to do this without getting on a soapbox or being political..so here are some facts and history.

the basic premise is....cocaine, and pot are illegal...and you can still find them easily. to immigrate into the country without going through proper channels is illegal and yet we have countless people coming across the border daily. they tried to outlaw booze and all it did was create a booming black market. if you outlaw firearms....the same will happen. you will merely prohibit law bidding citizens from having them but they will available on the black market to those who wish to do harm. and those who break the law are not concerned with what they are "allowed" to do lawfully.

back in the 80s or early 90s...prior to our brady bill IIRC...the british parlment made it illegal to possess semi automatic weapons. a lot of guys over there were looking for people in the us to GIVE their guns and collections rather then have them hit the smelter. of course the import laws made that difficult....and with the time restrictions very few made it here. i dont know how drastically your crime droped after you could no longer own AR15s, FNs, etc...but i would venture not too much if at all.

because of the drug wars and those involved in that trade using fully automatic weapons. back again in the 80s of early 90s the us government passed a law prohibiting the manufacturer of ( you can still buy and own tho ) fully automatic weapon for the general public. in order to possess a NFA (national firearms act ) weapon ( then and now)...namely a machinegun, silencer, etc....you fill out a duplicate application, get fingerprinted ( 2 cards ) and have two pictures taken. all is sent to the FBI with a $200 ( its $500 now ) check for the "tax stamp". after several weeks and a back ground check you are permitted to by THAT one item. you have to go through the same routine for each and every item. along with this you gave up the right to deny the search of your property and you had to inform the authorities when you transported this weapon to anywhere other than the local range. the BATF could ask and you must produce the weapon for their inspection at any hour of the night...on any day. all this was done DISPITE the fact that no legally owned fully automatic firearm had been used in a crime since the 1930s. ALL those weapons involved were stolen from military installations in the us or more were stolen arms we shipped overseas to friendly nations for their armed services. we have yet to see any decline in crime from this legislation.

Last edited:
Excellent post, Bobbysocks. Those intent on using weapons illegally are not going to be concerned with the "legalities" of obtaining those weapons, and those who ARE concerned with the laws are simply going to be at the mercy of those who aren't. We're no longer citizens, we're sheep.

I often wonder, though, if more people carried, how far these shooting sprees would have gone? This guy was stopped by one heroic woman who blitzed him while he was reloading (guess he hadn't practiced!), then held down and sat on by others. Still, he got a full clip off. How many of those killed or wounded would still be walking around today if two or three people in the crowd, or passing by on the street, had been carrying, and were able to take the b*sterd down? Sure, a quick death is too good for this idiot, but it would have saved a lot of taxpayers' dollars and court appearances.

I hear he's being defended by the guy who defended the Unibomber. How does a 22 year old murder afford a high-profile attorney? Or is the lawyer just lookin for more publicity?

Last edited:
A crude twist of faith,someone in another forum said that if it were a republican town hall meeting someone would of had a ccw and maybe things would of been different. All I know is I have a ccw and who the heck knows how I would of reacted if someone starts spitting lead. All the what if's have passed under the bridge,feel sorry for all the famalies losses.

Apologies guys, I feel the comments in my reply have detracted from the sentiments of the original post.

Sadly there will be many people today who will loose a life due to the apparent random act of an irresponsible mindless individual. Life is very hard to understand sometimes.

It may be that nothing could be done until he had to stop to reload as I guess he fired off the shots so quickly and so unexpectedly that nobody would have time to react.

I don't know what the answer would be to this if there's no way the US could remove guns from general circulation, and having airport style security with metal detectors at all public events would not be practical, there's not a lot else that could be done to prevent this kind of attrocity which seems to happen with depressing frequency.

At least this guy is caught alive, hopefully he'll receive a capital sentance and be left on death row for a couple of decades to stew on his impending doom, that would be the best punishment.

Good post bobby, just a couple of observations. In the UK full bore semi automatic rifles have been banned, I own a semi automatic 22. carbine. The other big difference is that here all handguns are banned no matter what.

As you might imagine I would like slightly more freedom in the UK re firearms but wouldn't want anything like the freedom there is in the USA. I am not knocking it or commenting against it in any way, its a matter of personal choice, which is the core. The freedom to make that choice, is what is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back