Congresswoman shot in Arizona (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[off topic]Banning arms doesn't result in the whole country changing in some sort of wild west like most Americans seem to believe. In my country, ownership of guns is only allowed under strict circumstances, meaning that the average civilian doesn't have one. And we're in no way a Wild West, especially not more then in the US. IMHO if the crowd would have carried weapons, it probably would have been even a bigger bloodbath.
But we banned political discussions on this board, so we shouldn't discuss this. So apologies to my American friends for my European view. You should know that I respect that things are different in the US. [/offtopic]

On topic:
Terrible what happened in Arizona. They should throw this guy from a plane at 10km without parachute. Would give him some time to think after which mother earth will finish it.

No problem Marcel. Never heard yet of an NRA member going ballistic but it seems everyone of these nut cases have a similar background and when they interview their friends and family they all say the same thing,yeah he/she changed recently,lost there jobs,become reclusive etc. In other words there's signs of trouble brewing but everyone ignores it,goes back to most school shooters also. God forbid somebody blows a whistle.....

I'm sure you guys are right - but the question is if you did give up the right to carry arms would it help stop tragedies like this happening?
I suppose if you are intent on a crime like this, you would find a way to get a weapon.

Of course it wouldn't. People who legally own arms for the purpose of sport, home defense or hunting are not the ones going out and committing most of the crimes. Those that commit gun related crimes are going to get the guns illegally anyhow.

Now this below is meant for all members taking part in this thread.

1. Tread lightly here please.

2. Do not turn this into a political debate.

I say this because the last time this topic came up, it got downright ugly. We will not allow this to happen again.

Last edited:
actually so far this is being bantered back and forth very cordially. I do respect everyones opinions...flex, marcel... opinions are from perspective, exploring options etc. and as much as i wish it wasnt true i am not always right. :D if it were not for other points of view some good changes may never have happened or come to pass. i enjoy others view but when it comes to the point of name calling or blood pressure rising it fails to be productive. it is sad there are those who are intent to do others harm and that others are hurt or killed in the process. our prayers go out to all the families concerned.

Of course it wouldn't. People who legally own arms for the purpose of sport, home defense or hunting are not the ones going out and committing most of the crimes. Those that commit gun related crimes are going to get the guns illegally anyhow.

That is exactly right Adler........

This is a terrible tragedy. And while politics are off limits, I have to hope that news media and politicians on both sides of the spectrum stand up and shoulder the blame for this. This is Sharron Angle's 'Second Amendment remedy' in action, and it's also a result of the 'us vs. them' attitude fostered by Jon Stewart, Glenn Back, Keith Olbermann and Rush Limbaugh in equal degrees.

Thanks Bomb Taxi. By the method of cut and paste I have just had a very quick dip into "American Studies".

Adler - understood , hence my apology for deflecting the thread in post 18.

This is the kind of thread that would/could have become political and heated back in the day, but my only comment would be this.....

There's no one to blame for this tragedy other than the psychopath who pulled the trigger.

Metaphors are used by everyone in every walk of life.

And the "right to keep and bear arms" has nothing to do with it.

TO

The guy was just a sicko and a lunatic.Have any of ya'll read any of his discussion on the youtube about different currencies(i'm thinking philisophical thought)??I am glad he's alive but I hope the state,city and justice system find him guilty for his actions not the "he had a tough childhood" BS.Then Rep.King purposed a bill making it illegal to carry a gun within a 1000yds of an elected offical :confused: Wow! do you think that would of changed anything?I hope the injured all have a full recovery.

Very true. Yet those most affected by any and all current and future gun laws are the very people you mention.

Kinda like punishing the whole class when it's the class idiot that did the deed.

BTW, there are some 20,000 gun laws in the U.S............

And this sheriff Dupnick, it seems like HIS office was the one that was on watch while the murdering miscreant was dropping all sort of hints as to his disposition.......

tom

tom

This is the kind of thread that would/could have become political and heated back in the day, but my only comment would be this.....

There's no one to blame for this tragedy other than the psychopath who pulled the trigger.

Metaphors are used by everyone in every walk of life.

And the "right to keep and bear arms" has nothing to do with it.

TO

I am not saying that Sharron Angle, Rush Limbaugh or Jon Stewart are personally responsible. But the media and certain political movements have created and sustained a level of polarisation in American politics which is frankly disturbing to many people viewing it from overseas. You may well care less about the opinion of foreign commentators, but it does America no credit in the wider world. And this guy was interested in various linguistic and philosophical theories of individuality and personal sovereignty which have a following on the fringes of anti-government and anti federal movements.

The Second Amendment is not a direct cause either - but when the Angles and Palins of this world are using very direct militaristic metaphors in widely publicised political discourse, there will always be those who take the meaning literally, not metaphorically. Figures in the public eye, political or media, should bear this in mind and act responsibly, not milk the shock value.

Words are probably the most important weapon in the political battle taking place in the US right now. And I see that already Limbaugh is exploiting this tragedy to claim that it is exactly what the liberals wanted. No-one really wanted this. Already the tragedy is being used to carry on the discourse that helped to create it. This is not a partisan view on my part, just a sense of disbelief that such a powerful and well-respected country could allow itself to create an environment where inflammatory rhetoric and hyperbole could inspire such actions.

Respectfully

BT

just a sense of disbelief that such a powerful and well-respected country could allow itself to create an environment where inflammatory rhetoric and hyperbole could inspire such actions.

Can't really answer you BT without making this a political discussion, and that is forbidden on this forum (with good reason), but I disagree with your opinion, especially the last sentence in your post.

respectfully,

TO

just so you may think on this a tad bit BT but what if you were living in the States instead of abroad ? you may have a different outlook. you may think ill of Sarah P. but that woman kicked Alaskan ass and she needed to while her would be Alaskan bro's in the big boy state stayed sitting on their thumbs looking the other way and turning the other cheek. The woman has guts and is not afraid to speak her mind, many are afraid of this woman if not intimidated. Jeesh am getting OT the thread really has nothing to do with the balme game of what political party nor gun laws acted or not. Simplification this poor punk chump never should of been allowed the paper Okie dokey "here is your 9mm Glock"

america is a unique place. you will see the rants and raves from commentators from both ends of the spectrum. and with that you would think we are constantly brawling in the bars and on the streets. its really not as US vs THEM as it might appear to those outside the border. things are maintained in a level of tolerance....when it boils down to it we are all "One nation..."

-cut-
This is not a partisan view on my part, just a sense of disbelief that such a powerful and well-respected country could allow itself to create an environment where inflammatory rhetoric and hyperbole could inspire such actions.

I disagree and I don't buy that.

It could happen in any country:
Any lunatic can do what that guy did if they really want to, and it doesn't matter what country, what the political rhetoric is, or whatever the political climate is like.
It's just a matter of time before someone else's mental rubber band snaps somewhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back