"Coolest" Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F4U Corsair = 426 Hemi Cuda

chance-vought-f4u-corsair-2.jpg
70 HemiCuda.jpeg

Big Block American horsepower!

Now Mike if you are going to post a pic of a F4U Corsair, you need to post a pic of that GM car.

Macchi C.202
italian_1943a.jpg

Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Ferrari-F12-Berlinetta-rear-quarter-002.jpg

Hi Wuzak,

Wasn't thinking of the looks ... was thinking of the performance. I have ridden in both and the XK12 was head and shoulders a better performer. My take on the Spitfire was the excess power due to light weight and the fantastic rate of climb ... but you are right about the looks ... the XKE was a classic if ever there was one. I had one friend who retrofitted one with elecrtonic ignition and fuel injection and was delighted with the result (greatly enhanced reliability).

I'd take the MC.202 and then Miranda with the Ferrari coming in last.

Last edited:
Chance Vought was started by Birdseye Lewis and Chance Vought in 1917 as the Lewis and Vought Aircraft Corporation. It went through Chance Vought, Vought Sikorsky, LTV Aerospace, Ling-Temco-Vought, Vought Aircraft Comanies, and and Vought Aircraft Industries, which it is today.

It was never owned by General Motors.

Last edited:
Never said it was owned by General Motors, but U.S. car companies did manufacture aircraft during the war...

I made a mistake earlier when I said General Motors in reference to the Corsair, I was wrong, it was Goodyear that subbed the F4U...GM (aka Eastern Aircraft Div) made other aircraft like the Wildcat (FM series), TBF Avenger (TBM series) and even the Fisher P-75 (though it was cancelled in '44)...

Since we are talkin' COOL, I'd want to fly wing for Blackhawk in an F5F! Hawkaaaa!
OK, I'll go take my meds now.......

If "coolest" refers just to looks and style and not performance, necessarily, I'd go with the Spitfire I as the coolest fighter of all time, followed closely by the P-38, Westland Whirlwind, Fw-189, Grumman F5F and F7F, and Do-335. Something about twin engined single seaters are just so.....sexy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back