Crazy idea for tank-buster?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

schwarzpanzer said:
Is that it?? - Oh dear!
Is that. I read somewere that a furter developement with higher rate of fire was on the study, but it was too late.

schwarzpanzer said:
and over 500 Kg of weight

This isn't looking good... But redesign would help, also it's still a lot less than a full bomb load - even with ammo?
540 Kg with the complete load of 22 rounds, that can be considered sufficient only for the low rate of fire.

<When Reich Marshal Hermann Goering was captured and questioned on May 10, 1945, he mentioned the BK-5 experiments translated as follows:
"You might find around Germany some jet airplanes equipped with anti-tank guns. Don't blame me for such monstrostities. This was done on the explicit orders of the Fuehrer. Hitler knew nothing about the air. He may have known about the Army or Navy, but absolutely nothing about the air. He even considered the Me-262 to be a bomber and he insisted it should be called a bomber."> ( www.wpafb.af.mil )

schwarzpanzer said:
and the 5 cm Flak, that was built in 50 copies only.

What's that like?
I have not much more information, it's a redesign of the 37mm flak and it's capable of 130 rpm with a muzzle speed of 840 m/s (similar to that of BK-5), but I don't know the weight of the weapon without the mounting.

schwarzpanzer said:
This Breda 37/54 seems a good bet though, any more info?

armi_62a_big.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/DogW/c21ee0c5.jpg
It was an AA weapon used pratically by all the ships of the Regia Marina in WWII, that saw some action in north-africa as an AT weapon. It had a muzzle velocity of about 820 m/s and weight from 200 to 250 Kg (depending on the fonts, that often confuse the single 1939 model with the twin 1938 model).

DogW

Interesting Dogwalker, thank you. :)

540 Kg with the complete load of 22 rounds, that can be considered sufficient only for the low rate of fire.

The Ju88 could carry 3,000 kg of bombs, excluded releasing mechanisms yes? so it could take that, plus 500 kgs worth of ammo, no trouble?

IIRC it could carry a substantial external payload, so drag and centre of gravity points shouldn't be an issue?

I've had that quote from Goering locked in my brain for some reason. :lol:

Hitler could be a dope, but Goering made his very worst ideas (SturmVogel) seem ingenius!

it's a redesign of the 37mm flak and it's capable of 130 rpm with a muzzle speed of 840 m/s (similar to that of BK-5)

Well a RoF of 100 rpm is adequate for anti-tank work...The 50mm calibre is also desirable...

It was an AA weapon used pratically by all the ships of the Regia Marina in WWII, that saw some action in north-africa as an AT weapon.

Ah yes, I read a little about it's work as an anti-tank gun since my last post.

Thanks Smokey! :D

So it was mounted in the gondola, rather than the nose. :confused:

me! said:
I thought that there was an Italian prototype fighter with it's engine in the back, but it's propellor in front fed by a propshaft (like a Panzer).

I've now found out that it's the Bugatti P100P/110P, thanks to loomaluftwaffe. :D

Is it just me, or is this slightly incorrect?:

http://www.migman.com/ref/2000_combat/MSCFS3/Me-262A-1A.htm

schwarzpanzer said:
Thanks Smokey! :D

So it was mounted in the gondola, rather than the nose. :confused:

me! said:
I thought that there was an Italian prototype fighter with it's engine in the back, but it's propellor in front fed by a propshaft (like a Panzer).

I've now found out that it's the Bugatti P100P/110P, thanks to loomaluftwaffe. :D

Is it just me, or is this slightly incorrect?:

http://www.migman.com/ref/2000_combat/MSCFS3/Me-262A-1A.htm

Bugatti is a French Firm...

DYK that Ettore Bugatti wore socks that were more like gloves? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back