Creating/Animating 3D CAD version of a WWII Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kiresays

Recruit
Oct 11, 2011
Hi all, I'm a mechanical engineering student at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia. At GT we work with Autocad for 2D CAD and a primarily education software AutoDesk Inventor for 3D CAD. However, in industry SolidWorks is the primary 3D CAD software. It seems silly that we don't use it instead, but it is what it is. The theories behind the software are very similar, but I would like to become much more familiar with it.

Additionally, I'm taking a class on internal combustion engines and find it fairly fascinating. AND, I'm in my third semester of german. Alongside all of those other things, I've always been very interested in WWII, particularly the aircraft.

So basically, I searched all of those things and wound up at this website!

What I'm looking for: Schematics of a WWII era engine. When I say schematics, I'm looking for something very thorough, with all necessary dimensions to put it into 3D cad, and pictures of the parts themselves for reference. While I would love to do the merlin 60 series (my professor raves about it constantly) or any german engine, the entirety of the project is more important. So if you have some random engine schematics (or know where I could find them!), I will gladly, gladly take them.

My plan: Take said schematic, create 3D parts of them, assemble them in an assembly drawing, and then animate the whole engine. Basically create a virtual version of a working WWII engine. In this process I'll be teaching myself SolidWorks.

My Time-Frame: Probably long! This project would be secondary to a lot of things, including my fairly large coursework, my job search, and rugby. But I need to learn solidworks, and I know I'll do a better job at it if I'm doing something I'm interested in.

So, if you have anything schematics, any suggestions, anywhere I could find said schematics or any hints/help tips in general, please feel free to post!

I recently obtained a drawing for the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust for the Vulture. I was looking for part drawings to, like you, build a 3d model of the engine, but only one drawing of the engine remained. This was an installation drawing - it shows the outside dimensions and required clearences, but no internal detail.

However, I'm sure that they have many more drawings of the Merlin.

Heritage team - Rolls-Royce

Now that would be a great project. Perhaps you could find other users to create some of the parts as well. I have Inventor here at home and could do a few small parts.

As for the Dwgs? Perhaps look for someplace that overhauls round engines. I believe there is one at the Livermore airport in CA. There are a bunch of warbirds there, I know of two T-6's, a Mustang and some Stearman. Perhaps check out the newspaper Atlantic or Pacific Flyer. I used to read it when I lived in Livermore. I think you can find PF and AF on the net. Finding an engine overhauler would be the best bet for the details your looking for.

Keep us posted matey.

One reson you don;t have Solidworks at a college is cost.

A one-year home license is about $5,000 USD. That is pretty steep if you aren't developing things that you can sell for a profit! ... and at a pretty good rate of development, at that!

I have made a LOT of drawings of WWII aircraft, and a lot of people waht them. But theya rn;t willing to pay very much for them, if at all.

So, Solidworks remains in the purview of companies making solid models and using the files for CNC machines to make things like jet engine fans, etc. that can be milled from a Solidworks file.

Last edited:
Solidworks, like a lot of CAD vendors, sell to educational institutions at reduced rates and can provide (not sure of cost) educational licences to students for a limited duration (5 or 6 months, IIRC).

I don't know how Solidworks is sold in the US, but here the product comes in 3 versions from the Standard ($8k-$9k IIRC), through Pro and into Premium ($12k-$14k), differng in the add on features that come with the package. There is no limitation on teh licence - yu can use it until the end of time with no extra cost.

You can also buy a subscription, for around $2k per licence per annum, which gives you access to the Solidowrks knowledge base, customer programs, help systems, and upgrades - typically 4 or so servive packs per year, and the new version every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back