Curtiss P-36 Hawk , Curtiss Hawk Model 75

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

French notice attachment rack underwing

s-l500.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is interesting to me to see that the US was thinking in terms of fighter bombers well before the war.. Of course the Curtiss F11 ultimately yielded the BF2C, a fighter turned into a dive bomber, and it was a US fighter carrying bombs that led to Udet's fascination with the Stuka concept.

It is interesting to me to see that the US was thinking in terms of fighter bombers well before the war.. Of course the Curtiss F11 ultimately yielded the BF2C, a fighter turned into a dive bomber, and it was a US fighter carrying bombs that led to Udet's fascination with the Stuka concept.
It's a thinly vailed ad for the export model of the P-36. USAAC P-36s did not have armor, 4 wing guns, the ability to carry under wing cannons , or bomb racks.

You know, I think maybe that a Hawk 75 with, say, an R-2600 up front probably would have made a better fighter bomber than anything else the RAF had in the ETO, or on the south side of a P-47. Too bad P-40 production was not switched to that in late 1943.

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 09-23-21 Curtiss xp-42 front.jpg (WEBP Image 1800 × 1063 pixels) — Sc...png

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 09-20-43 XP-42_38-4_NACA_short_nose.jpg (JPEG Image 950 × 551 pixels).png

You know, I think maybe that a Hawk 75 with, say, an R-2600 up front probably would have made a better fighter bomber than anything else the RAF had in the ETO, or on the south side of a P-47. Too bad P-40 production was not switched to that in late 1943.

View attachment 726198

View attachment 726200
The XP-42, shown above, sure was a nice looking airplane. I like the R-2600 idea, but with a two-stage/two-speed super charger and 4-6 .50's.
It might've bested the P-40, as you aluded to in your post, however, for the XP-42, as it stood, it was a good idea that just didn't pan out.
Wiki explained it pretty good....

XP-42 Wiki Page said:
When the XP-42 first flew in March 1939, it proved to be faster than the P-36. However, the P-40 was faster still and the new nose cowling caused engine cooling problems that proved to be unresolvable, despite at least 12 sets of modifications.

I like the R-2600 idea, but with a two-stage/two-speed super charger
You'd have never stuffed all that in a P-40N-type airframe. The XP-42 used an R-1830, so no wonder it was slower than a P-40. I don't think you could have gotten anything bigger than an R-2600 in there without major revisions. I guess a R-2000 could have been fitted to a P-40 without much trouble but that would have not been much if any of an increase in HP. Curtiss tried making a bigger more powerful P-40, the XP-60 and ended up with pretty much a P-47.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 08-33-53 Curtiss XP-60 at DuckDuckGo.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back