Daimler Benz 605 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

but the speculation that oil entering the cylinders on one bank reduces octane rating as the reasoning is by inferrence and not sound (it would take a tremendous disparity of oil consumption to do this).
an oiling disparity between the banks would have its most significant effect in cylinder cooling, for which the oil system is equally relied upon as it is parts lubricant. put simply the oil system cools the internals (skirts, rods, crank, impellers) and the water system cools the heads.

it's easy to figure out, if it's uneven heating then the clockwise spinning 605A would have the higher comp on the aircraft-port bank (by convention termed right bank viewed from the front), if it's oil passage lowering octane then the same bank should be lower compression.
And from memory the 605A has higher compression on the right (front, ie. aircraft-port) bank.
This would be easy to check.

plus it's just more technically sound.

in 1966, just over 3 years into my engineering apprenticeship at Derby, Lov as we knew him gave a lecture entitled "milestones and memories from 50 years of aero engine development". I still have the lecture handout (I did some of the research) and page 6 reproduced
o
relates to which way up one should have the Vee! It seems that R-R made life difficult for the German aero engine manufacturers long before Sidney Camm and Reginald Mitchell piled on the pressure.

in 1966, just over 3 years into my engineering apprenticeship at Derby, Lov as we knew him gave a lecture entitled "milestones and memories from 50 years of aero engine development". I still have the lecture handout (I did some of the research) and page 6 reproduced
o
relates to which way up one should have the Vee! It seems that R-R made life difficult for the German aero engine manufacturers long before Sidney Camm and Reginald Mitchell piled on the pressure.

Trying to attach page this way...it did not work ... see below. The author (Lov) was A. C. Lovesey, at the time he was Deputy director of engineering at the Aero engine Division of Rolls-Royce Ltd, Derby.

ok try this.........link http://www.flickr.com/photos/97039613@N00/4745188967/sizes/o/

... and another thing.. this expensive book has interesting stuff: "The romance of engines" By Takashi Suzuki. Page 365 has interesting pictures of con rods and the chapter is full of interesting detail... try Googling it and looking at the pages in Googlebooks. The DB stuff looks accurate but the Gnome Rotary stuff is flaky.. which is a key focus for me (not WW2 though it indirectly inspired Stanley Hooker into maths and hydrodynamics and then aerodynamics... thence to R-R and developemnt of the Merlin supercharger).

... and another thing.. this expensive book has interesting stuff: "The romance of engines" By Takashi Suzuki. Page 365 has interesting pictures of con rods and the chapter is full of interesting detail... try Googling it and looking at the pages in Googlebooks. The DB stuff looks accurate but the Gnome Rotary stuff is flaky.. which is a key focus for me (not WW2 though it indirectly inspired Stanley Hooker into maths and hydrodynamics and then aerodynamics... thence to R-R and development of the Merlin supercharger).

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Double posts moved edited into one post Tartle; equates to a stuttering/alzhiemers post. Otherwise I understand what your saying, or trying to get at, but is it getting to the point/thread topic soon?
I am not meaning to type offencively towards you, just a little irksome at the time/posts getting to the heart of your endevour.
;D
I'm sure it will all come together when you've got there! I can't wait :p

Last edited:
No offence meant, there is sometimes a double posting bug, I was only pointing out the tangental thinking of where it was going going Tartle. Please continue, your train of typing/thought has ingenuity and new perspectives waiting to be revealed.

If I am offencive, just say so. I'm no ogre, neithers anyone else here really AFAIK :D

No offence meant, there is sometimes a double posting bug, I was only pointing out the tangental thinking of where it was going going Tartle. Please continue, your train of typing/thought has ingenuity and new perspectives waiting to be revealed.

If I am offencive, just say so. I'm no ogre, neithers anyone else here really AFAIK :D

Nice post, razor1uk. Good to see someone express a little humility.

Like you, I hope Tartle will continue to give us his thoughts and opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back