Damaging / destroying aircrafts (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The reason fighter get the glory is because they have been romanticized, and the general cockiness of the pilots. Speaking of that, do you know the difference between a fighter pilot and God?
God doesn't think he is a fighter pilot!

I'm a twin seater fan so I would agree with u.I dont see why 1 guy should get all the glory.It was after all a team (allied) effort wasnt it.Sure it must have been nice t ohave been posted to a fighter squadron but twin seaters r for me.I recall Sir Leonard Chesire saying that he was initially disappointed to have been posted to a heavy bomber squadron and not a fighter squadron but he soon said that to succeed and survive u should have at least 2 engines , preferably 4 , and regarded the single engine fighters as dangerous contraptions.He went on to 100 missions with a VC and DSO with bar.Not bad for a heavy bomber pilot.

Attachments

• defiant_s_rule__258.jpg
    defiant_s_rule__258.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 823
Well if there is one pilot in that seat then that pilot should get glory. Fighter pilots were there to rule the skies so the other aircraft could do their job, without fighters to clear the skies the rest of the airforce would be pointless.

There is a saying, 'Fighter pilots make movies, Bomber pilots make history.' Granted fighters and air superiority are absolutely essential but they are only a support measure to allow bombers and ground attack aircraft to do their job.

Agreed, fighters are an essential element to clear the way for bombers and transports to get through. There has always been that element of danger and bravado that goes with it as well. When dogfighting, it is man to man, like a sport in some ways. There was a great deal of respect shown between pilots as well. I once read a story about a fighter pilot, may have been a mustang, but I am not sure, that got on the tail of a German fighter and blasted the plane. He watched as the pilot bailed out. As the American pilot flew by, he saw the German snap to attention in mid-air and snap a salute to him.

Fighters also prevent the enemies bombing actions, which in turn protects the ground forces. The fighters were the defence of the all armed forces be it on the ground, air or sea. They deserve all the credit they get.

I don't think anyone is attempting to deride the glory fighter pilots get but merely stating that bomber pilots deserve more glory than they get. The pilots of the Dambusters and Ploesti raids (as examples) deserve every bit as much praise and glory as any fighter pilot.

They do but the funny thing is, you mentioned that "Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history"...the Dambusters pilots had a movie. :lol:

The exception that proves the rule.

But there have been several bomber movies: Twelve o'clock High, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, The Memphis Belle (historically HORRIBLE, rivaling Pearl Harbor). But the basic point remains true, in general fighters are considered to be more glorious than bombers.

That's because they are.

Fighters are like sweet sexy looking women. Bombers are like big fat ogre 'women'.

True but it's not World War 2.

You British types would probably argue for the Mossie then. Personally I think the B-26 and A-26 looked very sexy in their own right.

I'm british and i have to agree the B-26 is a far far better looking plane than the mossie.

Attachments

• defiant_s_rule__531.jpg
    defiant_s_rule__531.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 759
The Mosquito was everything, not just a bomber. I was generally refering to the big four-engined bombers.

The mosquito is a dull looking plane. The A-26 looks great though 8)

Attachments

• douglas_a-26_invader.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 755

Users who are viewing this thread

Back