Data Base: Japanese Aircraft Engines (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just wanted to extend my thanks to Shinpachi for this fantastic thread, it went a long way to clarify the histories of Mitsubishi and Nakajima engines of WW2, alongside the book Japanese aero engines 1910-1945. In case i missed it, is there any clear info regarding the bore and stroke of the Kawasaki Ha-9 engine? I've seen conflicting data, different sources say either it was similar to the BMW VI or it was smaller.

Shinpachi-san,

Are there significant external differences between Kinsei 43, 44, and 54? I ask because Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum acquired a D3A2 for restoration. They claim to have acquired an engine from Papua New Guinea, but it will likely be in poor condition and need to be restored. I know there is a Kinsei 44 at the Air and Space Museum, could they use a 44 to restore a possible 54?

I'd personally like to see them restore the D3A2 as a D3A1, but that's a story for another thread!

Do you mean that the stroke 160mm is defferent from that of BMW9?
Noted values are not of BMW, but Ha9 which was modified from original BMW9 by Kawasaki.

Kawasaki produced two version of BMW9, one was "Kawasaki BMW9" of original bore and stroke and another was "Ha9" of shortened stroke.
Kawasaki intended to obtain more power by combination of shorter stroke and high roration.
In text of Japanese Wikipedia, this change of stroke is not noted.

Here is the engine that came with the Pearl Harbor Val. Can anyone identify it?

kDOYv5p.jpeg

tAuY3Me.jpeg

It looks like a Mitsubishi Kinsei model 54 engine for the Aichi D3A2 dive bomber as some fuel injection tubes are seen on the cylinders.

Cam system, including its case and pushrods tubes, is very similar to the Gnome-Rhône 14 K/N. And likely valves angle, rather acute.

But obviously cylinders are more compact !

Attachments

• GR_14N_49b.JPG
    GR_14N_49b.JPG
    610.1 KB · Views: 18
As far as my poor eyes can distinguish in the images, there is an interesting difference between the Kinsei and the GR 14N as the pushrods emerge from the casing in pairs but each of the pairs in the Kinsei seems to operate the valves of a single cylinder whereas in the GR 14N one of the pair goes to a front row cylinder and the other goes to a rear row cylinder.

As far as my poor eyes can distinguish in the images, there is an interesting difference between the Kinsei and the GR 14N as the pushrods emerge from the casing in pairs but each of the pairs in the Kinsei seems to operate the valves of a single cylinder whereas in the GR 14N one of the pair goes to a front row cylinder and the other goes to a rear row cylinder.

You can click on each image to expand it. And you will see that on the Kinsei, wich is a two-row radial engine as G&R, "one of the pair goes to a front row cylinder and the other goes to a rear row cylinder" just like the 14N.

This engine was on a marine scout that I'm making now. But there is no information about the engine at all. Is there anywhere I can see him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back