DB 603 vs Ju 213 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't find the originally intended speed for the Sabre anywhere, but I bet it was much higher than 3,000 rpm.

I believe the original maximum speed for the Sabre was 3,700rpm. This was increased in later versions to over 3,800rpm and, in some circumstances, over 4,000rpm.

With the Jumo 213j offering 2700 PS and the DB 603N 2800 PS the greater exhaust thrust of the Jumo should compensate for the slightly less power output.
After the war there were Arsenal engine projects using 213 parts.
Was the DB 603 ever subject of any post-war development?

I don't know if a French factory was brought in as a subcontractor to Jumo during the war or if the French got parts/machinery/technical information after the war as "reperations" but without some sort of connection like that the post war 'career' of German WW II engines was going to be non-existent. The Germans weren't building anything, few people were going to want German products in any case.
The Military was turning to jets and the Americans pretty much had the civilian market sewn up.

For the British, no civil aircraft was designed to use the Sabre engine, none were designed to use the Griffon. Only a few used the Merlin. However economics played a large part in that. The British and Commonwealth aircraft factories had to pay a pretty high import duty/tax on American engines after the war which made British/commonwealth engines more attractive.
France was the only other European country with much of an aircraft industry in the late 40s. At least of a size to actually design/build large engines of a new or developed type.

The Jumo 213 staggered on until at least 1953 in French hands if not later but power levels were pretty much held to Jumo 213A levels even with 100/130 fuel for production engines.

I believe the original maximum speed for the Sabre was 3,700rpm. This was increased in later versions to over 3,800rpm and, in some circumstances, over 4,000rpm.

Thanks for that. A much bigger percentage increase for the Jumo then.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back