De Havilland Mosquito....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nope, you're right, Rangoon it is.

The CO of 110 Squadron landed after the Japanese had left. He damaged his aircraft on landing, but was able to get word to allied forces that the city was open.

hmmm interesting, are you talking about locally manufactured Mosquitos? When the RAAF received the pattern aircraft they also received an order of FB Mossies.

Good point. I'm not entirely sure but most likely British built machines.

mhuxt said:
Nope, you're right, Rangoon it is.

The CO of 110 Squadron landed after the Japanese had left. He damaged his aircraft on landing, but was able to get word to allied forces that the city was open.

I just seen this mentioned in a book I'm reading at the moment. The crew were Wg Cdr A E Saunders and Flt Lt Stephens. First I'd ever heard of this incident.

I read "somewhere" that it all came down to supply and logistics.

So far as I know, no Mossie ever had handed engines, though the dH Hornet did.

However, I approve of your avatar.

I think late models had "handed propellers" hence different engine models for the right ang left engines. IIRC, most engines required different reduction gearing for different drirections of rotation, however, the V-1710 could be made to turn either way depending on how the crankshaft was installed.

No, I don't believe so. IIRC, there was for example one late variant with differing engine numbers port and starboard, due to the cockpit-pressure pump on one side.

When was the change made from five spoke wheels to the more plain ones? Or could they differ from aircraft to aircraft...?

Seems to have been early 1943, though you still find some of the older ones soldiering on into 1944, especially with 100 Group of Bomber Command.

Apparently the spokes were only on the port side of the wheels though.

Much obliged mate! Another thing gents.... Since these BOAC was empty of all armament among other things, where these gunports simply covered with sheets or were the nose smooth, with no signs of gunports...and what was changed inside the cockpit, what was removed there?

I beleive the BOAC A/C were converted FB. IV's and the nose blister was simply painted over. The poor bloody passenger sat in the Bomb bay. How comfortable and christ i hope they disconected the bombing circuit. LOL

Hi guys, I hope this an ok thread to ask .. what model/variant of the Mossie was fitted with a 4 blade prop and why? What difference did it make, if any?
I'm not aware that there were handed engine fitted to Mossies - if there were, please correct me.

Re handing of engines - the Rolls-Royce method was to interpose a spur gear to swing the prop the opposite direction, and yes, the Allison evidently did do it in what was to me a revelation (from an earlier posting in this thread!) Here's a copy/paste lifted from the web.

Another feature of the V-1710 design was the ability to turn the propeller either clockwise, or counter-clockwise, by simply assembling the engine with the crankshaft turned end-for-end, installing an idler gear in the drive train to the supercharger and accessories, and having a starter turning the proper direction. The ignition wiring and firing order were also arranged to accommodate the direction of rotation.

The (very few) Mk.XVs (high-altitude fighters) sometimes had 4-bladed props.

Most of the Sea Mosquitos I've seen had the four-bladers, as did some of the Mossies in foreign service (in such exotic places as the Dominican Republic, IIRC).

Also IIRC, the four-bladers had a smaller diameter (good for carrier ops) and gave quicker acceleration.

The (very few) Mk.XVs (high-altitude fighters) sometimes had 4-bladed props.

Most of the Sea Mosquitos I've seen had the four-bladers, as did some of the Mossies in foreign service (in such exotic places as the Dominican Republic, IIRC).

Also IIRC, the four-bladers had a smaller diameter (good for carrier ops) and gave quicker acceleration.

Many thanks for the prompt reply ...
I believe that there were only 5 Mk XV's built .. one prototype and 4 "limited production" examples.
Would you (or anyone else out there) be able to post any photos of the 4 bladed types you've mentioned, please?

Well, I've found further confirmation of the reason for 4 bladers from of all places, Wikipedia (yes, I know - don't trust it implicitly, and I should have gone there first...)
All part to do with 618 squadron as you will see, and the a/c came out to Oz but didn't do much after they arrived. here's part of the text from Wiki.

...four-bladed Rotol propellers: these propellers had narrower blades than the standard three-bladed units, meaning that the engines would rev up faster and respond quicker to throttle movement, factors vital in the limited length of carrier take-offs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back