De Havilland Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a diagram of the nose you are talking about.

Capture.JPG

Speaking of well-known shots, the below photo appears in several publications and shows B.35's in the final stages of production. What we have recently discovered is that the Mosquito second from the front (yellow arrow) is RS700, the subject of the restoration project that I am currently involved with. That makes this picture the earliest known photograph of our aircraft!
RS700.jpg

Speaking of well-known shots, the below photo appears in several publications and shows B.35's in the final stages of production. What we have recently discovered is that the Mosquito second from the front (yellow arrow) is RS700, the subject of the restoration project that I am currently involved with. That makes this picture the earliest known photograph of our aircraft!View attachment 381573

Sorry Andy but it seems that's not the serial you posted. I would say that's either the RS705(6) or RS735(6). Also it might be RS708 or RS738

RS700a.jpg
RS700b.jpg

I just noticed the first picture in post #2 is the prototype W4050 and the photo is possibly after its ressembly at Hatfield after being moved by road from the hangar at Salisbury Hall. The subsequent second, third and fourth prototypes were flown from Salisbury Hall to Hatfield, thus saving dismantling time.

Something I found that I've been looking for for some time; drawings of the DH.98B Turret Fighter. These were displayed at The People's Mosquito stand at British airshows.

44811702832_6847197402_b.jpg
Turret fighter

A bit of background. After the British released specification F.18/40 in October 1940 for a modern night fighter, it was amended in December to add the provision of a gun turret as a direct replacement of the Boulton Paul Defiant night fighter. De Havilland did not submit an entry to F.18/40, but was asked to provide a study of the DH.98 night fighter, to be ordered to F.21/40 fitted with a gun turret. Two prototypes were actually built that were so modified. The turret was to be a Bristol B.11 four-gun turret, which was designed for the Bristol Beaumont bomber project, and was very light and compact.

Studies showed that the Mosquito turret fighter was, predictably, slower in calculations than the fixed gun night fighter and the prototype W4050 was fitted with a mock up turret for aerodynamics trials in July 1941. In September 1941 the fourth prototype Mosquito, W4053, which was the first prototype turret fighter (the third prototype, W4052 was the first night fighter NF.II, built to F.21/40), flew for the first time, but with a mock up turret only. By then the decision had been made not to continue with the turret fighter, although a second prototype turret fighter was finished, W4073, in December 1941. This aircraft and W4053 became the prototypes of the T.III trainer variant once the turret fighter was cancelled.

F.18/40 went unfulfilled, although Bristol fitted a Boulton Paul A.1 turret, the same as fitted to the Defiant to two different Beaufighters to create the Beaufighter Mk.V. These actually entered squadron service and carried out night fighter patrols in 1941, but proved to be slower than the Defiant they were intending to replace. Anyway, the Mosquito NF.II to F.21/40 killed off both F.18/40 and the turret Mosquito night fighter by virtue of its superior performance and heavy fixed armament.

This faint vertical line on the canopy of the prototype shows where the fairing for the turret mock up rubbed against the canopy. Within the structure are four mounting bolts where the turret was fitted.

43917433522_81a827e9c4_b.jpg
0507 de Havilland Aviation Heritage Mosquito Prototype turret fairing

According to a database in my possession, DK296 had the following colourful history:

"Delivered to 105 Sqn as GB-K, by September 1942 it had been re-coded GB-G for Sqn Leader DAG (George) Parry, DSO, DFC, who had always used the code "G" on his aircraft. While with 105 Sqn it claimed one bird strike and a chimney pot! It was flown on most operations by Sqn Ldr Parry including a raid on Gestapo HQ in Oslo on 25th September 1942 and the raid on the Philips factory on 6th December 1942. In mid 1943 Sqn Ldr WW Blessing crash-landed the Mosquito at Marham, breaking its back. DK296 was withdrawn from use on 24th August 1943, rebuilt and placed into store at No 10 Maintenance Unit at Hullavington. In September 1943 it was issued to 305 Ferry Training Unit at Errol, where it was given Russian markings and trained Russian crews who were converting to Albemarles. On 20th April 1944, DK296 was sent to Russia, being officially accepted there on 31st August 1944 and subsequently serving in the Red Air Force.

Written off on 15 May 1944 in landing accident at Sverdlovsk when pilot A. I. Kabanov lost control with engines at low power setting, turns to port, runs off runway, shears off undercarriage and skids to a stop on its belly. Pilot and navigator P. I. Perevalov unhurt. This was the ninth flight of DK296 (which never received a Soviet serial) since it arrived in Russia and was the only Mosquito delivered to Russia. Kabanov was the Deputy Director of the Scientific Research Institute of the Air Force at this time, and had much experience flying foreign types."

Sorry Andy but it seems that's not the serial you posted. I would say that's either the RS705(6) or RS735(6). Also it might be RS708 or RS738

The observation and photo was passed on to our group by a knowledgeable person and I'm prepared to take their word. The second numeral can't be a 3 as the RS7XX series didn't make it into the 30's as far as I'm aware. There could be distortion of the serials where the upper and lower camo lines intersect, possibly due to light reflecting differently where the paint has been applied slowly and in multiple layers. So if the second number is a zero, then the third could very well also be a zero as well though I would grant that the final number could be interpreted differently based on this lower resolution photo.

According to a database in my possession, DK296 had the following colourful history:

"Delivered to 105 Sqn as GB-K, by September 1942 it had been re-coded GB-G for Sqn Leader DAG (George) Parry, DSO, DFC, who had always used the code "G" on his aircraft. While with 105 Sqn it claimed one bird strike and a chimney pot! It was flown on most operations by Sqn Ldr Parry including a raid on Gestapo HQ in Oslo on 25th September 1942 and the raid on the Philips factory on 6th December 1942. In mid 1943 Sqn Ldr WW Blessing crash-landed the Mosquito at Marham, breaking its back. DK296 was withdrawn from use on 24th August 1943, rebuilt and placed into store at No 10 Maintenance Unit at Hullavington. In September 1943 it was issued to 305 Ferry Training Unit at Errol, where it was given Russian markings and trained Russian crews who were converting to Albemarles. On 20th April 1944, DK296 was sent to Russia, being officially accepted there on 31st August 1944 and subsequently serving in the Red Air Force.

Written off on 15 May 1944 in landing accident at Sverdlovsk when pilot A. I. Kabanov lost control with engines at low power setting, turns to port, runs off runway, shears off undercarriage and skids to a stop on its belly. Pilot and navigator P. I. Perevalov unhurt. This was the ninth flight of DK296 (which never received a Soviet serial) since it arrived in Russia and was the only Mosquito delivered to Russia. Kabanov was the Deputy Director of the Scientific Research Institute of the Air Force at this time, and had much experience flying foreign types."

Many thanks, gents!

Very interesting!

Cheers,

Dana

The observation and photo was passed on to our group by a knowledgeable person and I'm prepared to take their word. The second numeral can't be a 3 as the RS7XX series didn't make it into the 30's as far as I'm aware. There could be distortion of the serials where the upper and lower camo lines intersect, possibly due to light reflecting differently where the paint has been applied slowly and in multiple layers. So if the second number is a zero, then the third could very well also be a zero as well though I would grant that the final number could be interpreted differently based on this lower resolution photo.

I see. However this says RS739...

mosquito.jpg

also the distortion at the demarcation line between two colours doesn't seem to be for the 0 or 3 digit. It is clearly seen that it is more down then the lapse between top and bottom parts of the digit .

RS700.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back