Decals and Lexan plastic. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Can you take a traditional water decal and apply it face down onto lexan? Lexan is the clear plastic bodies or canopies that is used to go on RC cars and planes. RC bodies you paint everything in reverse that you would paint a scale model. You paint them from the inside.

My idea is, is to apply decals face down and then hen they dry paint over them. If it works you would see the decal through the plastic/Lexan on the other side.

The paint that is used is a special RC lacquer that has a flexible agent that prevent it from chipping.

Any thoughts?

I agree with Wayne. However, a couple of people I know who race RC cars, tend to do the painting as described, but put the decals on the outside. Might be worth checking with a RC car outlet, to see what they, and their customers do.

I talk to a guy who works at a Hobbytown USA. He said you can put the decals face down inside as long as you DO NOT seal them with decal set. Simply apply them with water, and when they dry paint over them being that the paint over the decal is what seals it in.

My only concern was the risk of the paint getting under the decal but the decal should seal itself on the lexan when dry.

After a while water slide decals begin to crack on Lexan bodies! Trust me I know as I was an RC nutter years
ago and spent a small fortune on Lexan bodies and using/buying water slide decals on them, They look good
on a 'shelf queen' but after some hammer they look terrible and even flake off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back