Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
Hey guys.
I'm looking for an older micro-scale decal sheet, 72-19 or two "M"'s and two numbers 2-9 about 1 inch tall in yellow.I'm doing an invasion striped C-47 and need yellow letters for the fuselage.example (M 2,M 3,M 4,etc.)Does anyone have any they can spare ?
Ed

Hi Ed. I've had a look through my decal book, but no luck I'm afraid. Trying to get letters/numbers in yellow, especially serial numbers, in any scale, is as difficult as trying to find Hitler's dog!
Hand-painting in yellow is a pain also, as you might know, due to the 'thin' pigments in yellow paint. You could try some of the other decal companies, via mail order in US and UK., if you haven't already. Also, Pedinghaus Decals (Germany, I believe) will produce short runs or specials, and they may already have something suitable. Don't restrict to the scale, as a 'smaller' number/letter in a larger scale might do the job. Just Google Pedinghaus, and you'll find them. Another alternative you could try; scan a suitable decal(s) in another colour, eg black, change the font colour, and print-out onto clear decal sheet. Seal with a spray of Johnson's Klear (sorry, 'Future' in the 'States!) and, when totally set, use as normal.
Hope you find what you need, as I know it's a pain and frustrating in these situations.
Terry.

Ed, you can also make masks for that purpose.Masking tape and a sharp scalpel razor is very helpul for that.

You are right, Wurger. Especially for 1" tall letters. I misread his request. I would go right to masking them for such large size. A SHARP knife/razor is all you need.

Put your masking tape on a piece of flat glass (anything can be use including a pickle jar). Using a ruler, draw your letter with thin pencil/pen/permanent marker. Then taking your same ruler, make your cuts with your razor knife.

Once completed, the outline should lift virtually clean off the glass to be applied to the "subject". Mask off for overspray.

Right before applying paint, ensure the edges are sound by applying pressure all around. Apply your paint in thin coats. The first coat will actually seal the edges.

Others may disagree, but I like to remove my masking while the paint is fresh to ensure that it lifts off nicely. I personally have found that if you let the paint dry, your edges will not be as crisp. Perhaps others can educate me if there is an alternative method. I too am always learning.

Good luck!

You have described the method very well.Nothing to add Matt.:D

Also there are offered selfadhesive foils that we can use for printing these numbers, letters etc... usig them for mask making can be a good idea.These prited signs can be cut out then and masks are ready.

OOPS! I too missed the size! Matt is right, masking is very possible, without too much hassle. Or, you will probably find rub-down letters/numbers in art/graphic supplies stores. Yellow was one of the colours often used on circuitry design and warning labels, before the days of 'instant' desk-top solutions, and both Blick and Letraset, plus similar companies, produced them.

The Guys are right on....making an M should be simple, all straight edges....if you follow simple.....then a 1, 4 or 7 would be your best bet for the number!

Remember the 'KISS' principle!

Good luck with your model, Ed!:D

Thanks guys.Looks like I'm gonna mask and paint the numbers.Has anyone tried to use that method to paint on clear decal sheets ?I'll post a photo when I'm done.
Ed

Yep I has Ed. For that you also can use masks.If you paint them with an airbrush these wlll be really nice.But if you use a brush these can look a little worse.I would suggest using a soft sponge for the purpose instead of a brush.

I decided to use scale master stripes,cut and fitted to M 3.I'll post a photo when done.Thanks guys.
Ed

Oft, went through my stuff and this is what I could find with 'M's...

Attachments

• decal001.jpg
    decal001.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 61
  • decal002.jpg
    decal002.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 53
  • decal003.jpg
    decal003.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back