Deciphering RAF records .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Georgie

Recruit
May 15, 2024
Hello, I have been researching George Augustus Gibbon Hopkins for several years to help Dad find out his whereabouts and what he was doing in WW2, to clarify or not, any stories passed down.
I have recently got hold of his records from M. O. D. which contain a lot of information but is quite difficult to understand. There are also some details blacked out. I would be very grateful if any members can help out. The story goes in the family, he was captured by Japanese but managed to escape almost immediately, but although he was in the Far East, his records tend to show that maybe that's not the case!
Regards Karen.

Attachments

• F543 HOPKINS 15078 (1) (1).pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Hello, I have been researching George Augustus Gibbon Hopkins for several years to help Dad find out his whereabouts and what he was doing in WW2, to clarify or not, any stories passed down.
I have recently got hold of his records from M. O. D. which contain a lot of information but is quite difficult to understand. There are also some details blacked out. I would be very grateful if any members can help out. The story goes in the family, he was captured by Japanese but managed to escape almost immediately, but although he was in the Far East, his records tend to show that maybe that's not the case!
Regards Karen.

Karen,

Your chap was in India with 27 Squadron at the start of the war, then returned home via Ceylon and seems to have spent the rest of the war in the West Country. This is how I decipher the "WW2" parts of the record:

Station Risalpur 04Aug39
27 Sqn, Risalpur 26Nov39 (Wapiti/Hart/Blenheim)
(L.Topa(a)?) 31May40
27 Sqn (no date), Risalpur
(blacked out 30 Aug40 – 23Aug41)
Ex-Far East (no date)
Ratmalana, Ceylon 28Feb42
Home establishment (HE) (no date)
12 School of Technical Training, Melksham 21Sep42
(blacked out 19Jan43 to 01May43)
SEWS (?)
RAF Netheravon 01May43
12 School of Technical Training, Melksham 03May43
11 School of Technical Training, Credenhill 10Jul43
1 Air Gunnery School 06Sep43
Heavy Glider Conversion Units 30Dec43
Pembrey 30Dec43
1 Air Gunnery School
Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
11 School of Technical Training, Credenhill 29Nov44
51 Operational Training Unit 04Apr45
11 School of Technical Training, Credenhill 04Apr45
(blacked out) 26Mar45
(?) Repair Unit 07Jun45
Disembarkation Camp 20Jun45
British Army Forces of Occupation PHU 26Oct45

27 Squadron had moved to Butterworth in Malaya during May 1941 and to Sungai Petani (also in Malaya) during in August. When Japan invaded Malaya on 8 December 1941, the squadron quickly relocated to Singapore and then on 23 January 1942, to Sumatra. A further move to Java was made in February but that effectively ended the squadron's life at that point. Being ground-based, it's quite possible that the period from December 1941 to 28Feb42 represents the time your chap may have been made POW.

I'd suggest taking a look at the 27 Squadron records held by The National Archives at Kew: you should be able to download them free at this time.

I very much doubt he was a POW. I'm only aware of one successful POW escape after 15 Feb 1942.

I'm wondering where this record was obtained. The redaction of spouse details makes me think it's from a genealogy website (Ancestry or FindMyPast). Obtaining WW2 records from the MOD typically requires proof of a pretty close family relationship, in which case why redact those details? I'm also, not sure MOD has the tools to do that - records I received about a relative were simply photocopies of the originals. They may have started sending out image files but that still doesn't explain why elements were redacted.

Incidentally, it's possible that your man evaded capture by the Japanese, rather than actually being captured. It's just a thought, but might explain the slight change in story during its re-telling across the decades.

I'd be interested to know how you obtained this record too!

Safety Equipment Workers School?

27 Squadron was turned into a flying training school October 1939 to October 1940, became operational again in February 1941, squadron records are missing June 1940 to January 1941, in any case they usually omit enlisted personnel movements. Squadron moved to Malaya 13 February 1941. while George left the squadron August/September 1940, Singapore fell on 15 February, Rangoon on 8 March 1942. George arrives at Ratmalana from Far East on 28 February. Key seems to be what unit he was sent to on 23 August 1941. What else has been suggested, see

Since the Very Good assessments are readable it suggests the non very good ones have been blacked out along with time forfeited, leading to the possibility the blacked out sections are personally embarrassing, like punishments.

Karen,

Your chap was in India with 27 Squadron at the start of the war, then returned home via Ceylon and seems to have spent the rest of the war in the West Country. This is how I decipher the "WW2" parts of the record:

Station Risalpur 04Aug39
27 Sqn, Risalpur 26Nov39 (Wapiti/Hart/Blenheim)
(L.Topa(a)?) 31May40
27 Sqn (no date), Risalpur
(blacked out 30 Aug40 – 23Aug41)
Ex-Far East (no date)
Ratmalana, Ceylon 28Feb42
Home establishment (HE) (no date)
12 School of Technical Training, Melksham 21Sep42
(blacked out 19Jan43 to 01May43)
SEWS (?)
RAF Netheravon 01May43
12 School of Technical Training, Melksham 03May43
11 School of Technical Training, Credenhill 10Jul43
1 Air Gunnery School 06Sep43
Heavy Glider Conversion Units 30Dec43
Pembrey 30Dec43
1 Air Gunnery School
Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
11 School of Technical Training, Credenhill 29Nov44
11 School of Technical Training, Credenhill 04Apr45
(blacked out) 26Mar45
(?) Repair Unit 07Jun45
Disembarkation Camp 20Jun45
British Army Forces of Occupation PHU 26Oct45

27 Squadron had moved to Butterworth in Malaya during May 1941 and to Sungai Petani (also in Malaya) during in August. When Japan invaded Malaya on 8 December 1941, the squadron quickly relocated to Singapore and then on 23 January 1942, to Sumatra. A further move to Java was made in February but that effectively ended the squadron's life at that point. Being ground-based, it's quite possible that the period from December 1941 to 28Feb42 represents the time your chap may have been made POW.

I'd suggest taking a look at the 27 Squadron records held by The National Archives at Kew: you should be able to download them free at this time.
Thank you so much for your response. I took your advice and had a look at National Archives and found his name on a list Echelon "D" embarking on S.S.Ekma at Calcutta on 27/02/41, but to where I don't know, as it shows in operations that no records survive between this time and a point up to '42 as it say's the squadron was lost ! I wonder was it to Ratmalana he went!

It's doubtful; the term doesn't skew with the timeline. This chap was a Safety Equipper, so it's more likely to be "Safety Equipment Wxxx School"....
I didn't realise this is what his role was. Thank you for that.

I very much doubt he was a POW. I'm only aware of one successful POW escape after 15 Feb 1942.

I'm wondering where this record was obtained. The redaction of spouse details makes me think it's from a genealogy website (Ancestry or FindMyPast). Obtaining WW2 records from the MOD typically requires proof of a pretty close family relationship, in which case why redact those details? I'm also, not sure MOD has the tools to do that - records I received about a relative were simply photocopies of the originals. They may have started sending out image files but that still doesn't explain why elements were redacted.
I received them from M.O.D after applying!

Incidentally, it's possible that your man evaded capture by the Japanese, rather than actually being captured. It's just a thought, but might explain the slight change in story during its re-telling across the decades.

I'd be interested to know how you obtained this record too!
I think you may be correct and yes obtained through application to M O D.
Along with his birth certificate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your response. I took your advice and had a look at National Archives and found his name on a list Echelon "D" embarking on S.S.Ekma at Calcutta on 27/02/41, but to where I don't know, as it shows in operations that no records survive between this time and a point up to '42 as it say's the squadron was lost ! I wonder was it to Ratmalana he went!
Screenshot_20240509-000126.png

Found great photo of George in Risalpur.
Third from left at the back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back