"Deelen Wolves" (JG 1) pencil study ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wade,

Could you be so kind as to tell me the basic steps of your technique. After you do the pencil sketch do you computer render it for airbrushing? I am curious to know but feel free to guard any secrets..

Really no secret. I spend a long time drawing a detailed outline of the scene and then go to the local Kinko's copy center and copy one at full size of the final canvas, and one smaller for the pencil study.

For each image transfer, I rub the back of the outline drawing with 2B pencil for the "transfer" of the image to the paper or canvas, and then for the pencil study above I just 'draw' in the tones with different grades of pencil for lights and darks, and then 'paint' the scene in color on the final canvas.

I don't airbrush - great for T-shirts and super-slick illustration (though that's mainly been replaced by digital airbrushing), and models of course, but nothing looks better on a collectors wall than the impasto look of good old fashioned oil paint. As they say, it was the medium of the great masters - good 'nuff for me!

Wade

Thank you, that all makes good sense. You use Kinkos to size proportionally and work from that. Pretty snazzy.

At one time in my life I was a sign painter. I worked for a company called Heywood Sign inc. out of LA (even though I worked in Nevada) They were a very large billboard company. They made their signs by projecting a photographic image onto a standard 12'x40' billboard unit inside their "studio" made up of 2' panels bolted together into one 12x40 sign. Before the image was projected, the 2' panels were covered with sign paper (like butcher paper). Then the image was projected and and the image lines were "pounced using a pounce wheel and a pounce of blue chalk powder. Later, the different colors were written in when the paper was removed revealing the chalk lines. Then it was basically paint by number.

My brother was and is to this day the only person I have ever known that could layout and paint a 12'x40' billboard right at the location with the panels still bolted together. His work looked as good or better than Heywood's, I know because I used to work with him. He had a ten year contract with Seagram's and Black Velvet. Remember that beautiful woman in black velvet inviting you to drink as you drove along the interstate ? We did her.

Hey guys,

A couple of update pictures on "Most Dangerous Game".

IMG_6524_format.jpg

190_wings_done.jpg

Wade

Finished this one about a month ago - had to let it dry a bit before scanning. This is one I can't wait to varnish because those Luft colors always look so great with a coat of varnish:

"Deelen Wolves"
(companion painting to "Most Dangerous Game")
18 x 24 oil on panel

Deelen_Wolves_final.jpg

Wade

Thank you, that all makes good sense. You use Kinkos to size proportionally and work from that. Pretty snazzy.

At one time in my life I was a sign painter. I worked for a company called Heywood Sign inc. out of LA (even though I worked in Nevada) They were a very large billboard company. They made their signs by projecting a photographic image onto a standard 12'x40' billboard unit inside their "studio" made up of 2' panels bolted together into one 12x40 sign. Before the image was projected, the 2' panels were covered with sign paper (like butcher paper). Then the image was projected and and the image lines were "pounced using a pounce wheel and a pounce of blue chalk powder. Later, the different colors were written in when the paper was removed revealing the chalk lines. Then it was basically paint by number.

My brother was and is to this day the only person I have ever known that could layout and paint a 12'x40' billboard right at the location with the panels still bolted together. His work looked as good or better than Heywood's, I know because I used to work with him. He had a ten year contract with Seagram's and Black Velvet. Remember that beautiful woman in black velvet inviting you to drink as you drove along the interstate ? We did her.

Keith Ferris did something similar to manage his full scale B-17 at the Smithsonian..He did the original 3 d Orthogonal projection on Canvass, broke it into square, photographed it - put the base coat on the Smithsonian wall, broke it up into 1 foot squares, then projected his painting onto the wall with a slide projector - making sure the projector was perpendicular to the wall.

He painted the outline step by step, moving the projector vertically and horizontally until he was finished with the B-17. I believe he did the 109 in the contrail freehand but not sure of that.

Wade - great work - when are going to send me your mailing address for the CD?

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated. 8)

Bill, you must not have gotten my reply a few days ago to your PM. My addy is:

Wade Meyers
5418 Colony Way
Hoover, AL 35226

Thx!

Wade

wade - u r right - i didn't get it. pics should be on the way tomorrow. Put me in contact with the guy that is converting microfilm to CD?

regards,

bill

Bill ... got the package yesterday - thanks! 8)

I don't know where the Microfilm-to-CD project is, that is, in terms of completion - or if it ever will be, but if I hear more, you'll be the first to know.

Cheers, and thanks again!:D
Wade

Bill ... got the package yesterday - thanks! 8)

I don't know where the Microfilm-to-CD project is, that is, in terms of completion - or if it ever will be, but if I hear more, you'll be the first to know.

Cheers, and thanks again!:D
Wade
I tried to copy a lot of the ones on the CD that I hve NOT posted to add the variety. Thx on the update of the microfilm project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back