Defensive tactics for the A6M Zero in Pacific Fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 21, 2009
For those who are fond of flying the Zero in Pacific Fighters, need your help on this one: What do you do when an enemy fighter comes in from your six and starts shooting at you? Any recommended defensive maneuvers? Let's assume that the bandit is either a Hellcat or a Corsair and he jumps in on you at low altitude, below 500m or so.

Pull him lower, turning and diving (althought not a lot of either). Don't give him a straight shot. Bring him down low to the water and make him turn with you down there. Trickier down there and the AI doesn't seem to like it much.

In past missions, some of the aircraft that I engaged got splashed because they took a plunge into the water. Yeah, maybe the AI has some problems with handling the aircraft at such low altitudes.

Personally, I'm not fond of flying at such low altitudes with the Zero. For one thing, if I turn tightly and the plane stalls and autorotates, I don't have much room for recovery. So in order to pull this tactic off, I guess I need to manage my turns and prevent the aircraft from stalling.

Manuvering low and slow can be hairy. It also sets you up for the diving attack if you are too low. But I've found you can survive down there for a while if you play it right.

Up high, your guess is as good as mine. One thing for sure, 12 and 6 oclock are not the places you want a Hellcat or Corsair. Lose that one. Keep turning!

Get really good with snap shots side slipping (or barrel rolls)...take shots at him as he flys by (he will try and keep his speed up_"energy 101"). Get good at snap shots...even if you only succeed in hitting ailerons or tail it will slow'em down. You will only get short/quick opportunity's to shoot at 'em...maybe only one.

..even if you only succeed in hitting ailerons or tail it will slow'em down. You will only get short/quick opportunity's to shoot at 'em...maybe only one.

Sometimes just a direct hit at an aileron or rudder is already enough to put the enemy fighter out of commission. The aileron or rudder gets ripped off by a stream of 20mm cannon fire and the enemy pilot doesn't have any means to control his aircraft. The result: he bails out and a pilotless plane is no longer a threat. In some of the missions I've flown, this happened quite fairly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back