Defiant as a night fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
Are there any accounts of the Defiant using Schrage Musik tactics with its rear turret? It may have been slow to actively catch the bomber stream, but the turret seems ideal. Photo taken from William Green's book. I found four of Mr. Greens books at a Library book sale/swap 10 years ago, published in the UK in 1962, and found their way to NJ in the 2000's at the used book sale. Two on fighters, two on bombers.

Attachments

• defiant.jpg
    defiant.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Green.jpg
    Green.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Are there any accounts of the Defiant using Schrage Musik tactics with its rear turret? It may have been slow to actively catch the bomber stream, but the turret seems ideal. Photo taken from William Green's book. I found four of Mr. Greens books at a Library book sale/swap 10 years ago, published in the UK in 1962, and found their way to NJ in the 2000's at the used book sale. Two on fighters, two on bombers.
To be tediously pedantic firing from a turret by a gunner is not the 'Schrage Musik' system. Had the Defiants been equipped with the intended pilots no allowance sight for the turret guns in their fixed forward upwards slanting position then that would qualify.

To late in the evening to search for the source but the Defiant tactic was to approach the enemy aeroplane from below and to one side. Both gunner and pilot would decide if the aeroplane was enemy. If so the gunner would open fire whilst the pilot maintained contact with the bomber.

To be tediously pedantic firing from a turret by a gunner is not the 'Schrage Musik' system.

Ha.

True, thats why I said "tactics"! Approaching from below and firing forward and up at an angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back