Defiant pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnny

Airman
Sep 21, 2004
Johannesburg
I am looking for decent pictures of a Boulton Paul Defiant MK1.Am busy doing research on 264 Sqn and cannot find any decent pics of it.

How's this?

Attachments

• 0014_9_6.png
    0014_9_6.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,524
Maybe you could tell me what the Madras Presidency is for in the squadron.I see the RAf refer to it as 264 Madras Presidency Squadron , but nobody at our War Museum or at Raf website can tell me .

Funny you should ask! Basically it boils down to "gifts" or donations made to the RAF by various colonies. They were looking to supplement the money from taxes to help buildmore aircraft. The more money you donated, the bigger the named item. For example, for a 5,000 pound donation (Sorry, I have an american keyboard, no pound sign!) you could "sponsor" a fighter, for 20,000, a bomber. As the gifts became larger, squadrons and groups were named in honor of the donor.

India was a big supporter of the RAF and provided a lot of funds. The Madras Presidency gave enough to actually have THREE squadrons named as "gift squadrons", squadrons 79, 234 and 264.

An interesting writeup on Indian gift squadrons can be found here:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/1940s/Presentation.html

No problem. I have the benefit of volunteering at a WWII aviation museum, so I have a wealth of resource material available. You wouldn't happen to know if there are any Defiants that still fly, do you?

I found some more good pics of Defiants.Pity they r black white r good though.

Attachments

• defiant.jpg
    defiant.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,496
  • defiant_1_.jpg
    defiant_1_.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,492

Users who are viewing this thread

Back