Defiant Radar Scope

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lordbyron

Recruit
Apr 26, 2023
Hi all this is my first post so please bear with me. I would like to build a boulton Paul Defiant Nightfighter model but cannot find any info on where the Scope for the radar was fitted. I have looked high & low on the web without any luck. I am assuming it was the pilot who had it but not sure where in the cockpit, ot alternatively was it the gunner? Also did the gunner have a reflector sight? Hopefully someone in the community can help me.

The Defiant MkII was equipped occasionally (or at least tested with) the AI MkVI radar. This has a single pilot scope mounted on the top of the instrument panel. I'm not sure which side, but I think on the right. I've attached an extract from: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/632_AP1093D_Pt2_Introductory_Survey_of_Radar_screenread.pdf, which details the differences between Mk IV, V and VI radars. I've also attached screenshots from the NASM website showing details of the radar electronic "boxes". If you visit this part of this forum, you'll be able to see the sort of transmitter/receiver aerials used with these metric-band radars.

Attachments

• AP1093D Introductory Survey of Radar Part 2 - 632_AP1093D_Pt2_Introductory_Survey_of_Radar_scr...pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 13-26-33 Receiver Airborne Intercept Radar British AI Mk VI Type R-3075.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 13-26-33 Receiver Airborne Intercept Radar British AI Mk VI Type R-3075.png
    921.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 13-25-33 Transmitter Airborne Intercept Radar British AI Mk VI Type T...png
    Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 13-25-33 Transmitter Airborne Intercept Radar British AI Mk VI Type T...png
    450.1 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back