Do335 A6 SN-2 Radar configuration

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey Guys,

I believe there was only one A-6 night fighter completed - V-10. I am trying to find out the correct layout of the SN-2 radar antennae on the wings. I can't find a photo of the aircraft so am looking at models. However there are a few variations (mainly on the port wing).
These two are the most common. So which is correct?
cheers
Francis

1705319036614.png
1705319380863.png

I'm afraid a such image with the FuG220 radar configuration doesn't exist. The V-10 a prototype for the A-6 series was going to be equipped with the FuG 220 or FuG 218 and FuG 350. But how the appearance of the antennas could look like, nobody knew. As a result, the configuration of the antennae was "borrowed" from the Fw 190A-8/R11 of which the pictures can be found. Therefore the model in the left image, has the kind of the antenna system. The second one ( right shot ) may be just the another quess of the layout of the antennae, IMHO. However this one is also suggested in the Aj-Press book for the B-6 variant. As far as I'm concerned .. I would follow the more known way of the antenna attaching. But the suggested way the antennas were attached to the A-6 and seen in the Aj Press book, looks much better. A PM sent.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A-1.NJG10-White-9-Gunther-Migge-1944-02.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A-1.NJG10-White-9-Gunther-Migge-1944-03.jpg

the pic source: the net.

I'm afraid a such image with the FuG220 radar configuration doesn't exist. The V-10 a prototype for the A-6 series was going to be equipped with the FuG 220 or FuG 218 and FuG 350. But how the appearance of the antennas could look like, nobody knew. As a result, the configuration of the antennae was "borrowed" from the Fw 190A-8/R11 of which the pictures can be found. Therefore the model in the left image, has the kind of the antenna system. The second one ( right shot ) may be just the another quess of the layout of the antennae, IMHO. However this one is also suggested in the Aj-Press book for the B-6 variant. As far as I'm concerned .. I would follow the more known way of the antenna attaching. But the suggested way the antennas were attached to the A-6 and seen in the Aj Press book, looks much better. A PM sent.

View attachment 757737
View attachment 757738
the pic source: the net.

Well, kind of makes sense they would use the same layout as the Fw190. It's probably most likely option for historic accuracy.....
Cool thanks

My pleasure.

A note though ... just found ... the second way of attaching of the radar antennas ( the right shot ) is the one that can be found in a sketch made in 1944. So the diagram may present the correct attachment and the left image shows it properly . The another PM sent.

The setup used on the Fw 190 and the drawings makes sense to me. One set of antennae gives you bearing/range and the other gives you height above or below you and range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back