DH Chipmunk Survives Hitting an Antenna (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
At an airshow in Argentina a DH Chipmunk demonstrated impressive durability when it hit an antenna during an airshow and still managed to land safely. Look at all those big beautiful rivets!

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 16-08-40 Airborne 11.07.22 Chipmunk Close Call ALPA Flt Crew Imprison...png
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 16-08-12 Airborne 11.07.22 Chipmunk Close Call ALPA Flt Crew Imprison...png
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 16-07-36 Airborne 11.07.22 Chipmunk Close Call ALPA Flt Crew Imprison...png

I note they provided no views of the cockpit...... Hope the seats are colored brown.

Reportedly, that Chipmunk is that oldest one still flying.

A guy used to fly his Super Chipmunk from our airfield. He landed one day and said he would need fuel. I made a call on Unicom for him, "The Chipmunk needs fuel." A young lady replied, "What does the squirrel need?"

She presumably did not know that there is a British helicopter named the Squirrel.

Buy a new one?

We had a Chipmunk with an IO-540, constant speed prop, a blown canopy and a Krier tail for a company hack at the FBO I worked for. Was a lot of fun to fly. It would go nearly straight up once you got it off the ground and poured the power to that 540. Unfortunately, the company accountant got a little sloppy shooting some circuits and sank into the approach lights one day. A dent in the leading edge, a tear in the fuselage forward of the wing and some torn fabric. As far as I know, it's still sitting on fixtures out at the owner's ranch, waiting to be repaired. Wish I had the space and the $ for it.

As always, I'm so happy that the crew were able to land safely, and evacuated.

It seems repairable, but how much would cost? Both money and work hour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back