Did German bombers make a different sound and why? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stona, I don't think we're having an argument but to the extent that you are characterizing it as such, it is you who argued that you (and by extension, others) would not be able to distinguish between a Spitfire and Bf-109 if blindfolded. I merely pointed out that I could. Your admiration is easily purchased but thank you nonetheless.

I'm certainly not saying that the lack of synchronization between engines wouldn't lend an additional character to the symphony of sound emitted. I'm just pointing out that formations of German bombers would likely sound different from formations of British bombers (as individual aircraft do) for simpler, more obvious reasons. Perhaps that could account for the woo, woo, woo. Perhaps not.

Edited to add: (as individual aircraft do)

Very true. If I hear my sister just walking I know its her. Depending on recording quality, I can also sometimes tell the difference between an analog and digital recording, but that's a tough one.

Really, all hearing these differences comes down to is simply having enough exposure to the sound(s) in question coupled with active listening. Anyone with "some" experience as a musician could probably do it to at least a reasonable degree. Even someone with damaged hearing could, depending on the damage.

One thing is for sure, it is difficult to mistake the sound of a Chinook.

I was with my uncle in Yorkshire when we heard a planes engines, "Its a Dac" he said. A few minutes later a Dacota came in sight, I asked him how he knew he said "I would recognise that sound anywhere. He was in the ROC so it was his job to identify aircraft and sound is one way to do it, admittedly not foolproof. I believe the sound comes from the engine noise end the propeller speed and pitch. Dunno if German bombers had different combinations of RPM and propeller size and pitch but I imagine they would (maybe others can answer).

If one hears the sound of certain a/c continuously one can learn to distinguish between types.

In Europe, troops on the ground said they could tell the difference between German and Allied types.

that is true. when i worked the ramp for the airlines i could tell which of the 4 turbo-prop planes was coming my way before they came around the building. right now they would all probably sound the same to me....

the design of the exhaust has a lot to do with the signature of its sound. blower will add something as well. when i sold auto parts changing the style and type of muffler and tuning the pipes could make a car sound a lot different. but generally you you have more options with an auto than ac due to room, cowlings, drag, etc.

Just a random thought, could the shape of formation play a part? The US flew combat boxes, the RAF flew in streams, but the Luftwaffe flew V' s, at least during the BOB.

I remember reading a fictional short story in junior high about an RAF fighter pilot that was shot down and wakes up in a hospital with a leg missing. Anyway, spoiler alert, he is really a captive of the Luftwaffe but doesn't know it UNTIL he hears the distinctive engine noise of a Heinkel bomber from outside!

Does anyone remember it?

It seems there was a belief amongst air forces of WW2 that the throbbing of unsynchronised engines could confuse the sound locating equipment used by most nations at the time. I have seen it suggested that it became standard procedure for the Luftwaffe to run engines unsynchronised for this reason.

Ken Rees' in his book 'Lie in the Dark and Listen' wrote that his squadron's Wellingtons would do the same thing 'over there'.

It has also been suggested that the Luftwaffe unsynchronised their engines as a psychological tactic (not impossible for people who attached sirens to dive bombers) or to give the impression that formations were larger than they were.
Intentional or not, the psychological aspect certainly worked as I have read and heard first hand accounts of the dread that the throbbing of German engines instilled in prople on the ground.

Whether any of that is true or not the Luftwaffe formations certainly did have a distinctive sound.

Modern aircraft auto-synchronise their engines for precisely the reason highlighted by Edgar above, the oscillations could be bloody annoying for the crew and unacceptable to paying passengers. Unsynchronised engines could also set up annoying vibrations.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Found it!

Beware of the Dog is a 1944 World War II story by Roald Dahl which was originally published in Harper's Magazine and later appeared in his Over to You collection. It was made into the movie 36 Hours in 1964.[1]

Anyone have a sample soundtrack of unsynchronised engines?

The sound of ANY V-12 can be made different by firing order and exhaust manifold length, shape, and diameter.

Many of the early Merlins had 2-into-1 exhaust manifolds and they sound different from the individual 1-into-1 pipes adopted by others. A Griffon in a Fairely Firefly sounds WAY different froma Merlin, and it is almost entirely due to exhaust manifolds. The one around here has night-fighter shields and, while the flames may be attenuated or not, it sounds like a series of explosions flying by due to sound reflections off the flame shields.

This is the one:

8-a-1280.jpg

Doesn't sound ANYTHING like a Merlin but, in fact, is quite similar.

Last edited:
Greg, teh Griffon has a differnet firing order than the Merlin, which is teh main cause of the sound difference.

Other reasons are that the Griffon cylinders are 37% larger than the Merlin's and the Griffon operates at lower rpm, reducing the frequency (300rpm at max rpm is 10% difference. Cruise for a Merlin is 2650rpm while it is 2400rpm for the Griffon).

The engines of the He111 were synchronized with the rev counter of both engines to the same value and if needed adjusted on hearing. I have an old LP with different air plane noises recorded standing, taxi fly-by and a night attack on London. Will see if i can make a mp3 file of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back