Difference between G and K model Bf.109 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's difficult to generalise. Many types are virtually indistinguishable.

I don't know the tail wheel size of comparable allied aircraft but,as has been said,the Bf109 was relatively tail heavy on the ground.

As far as the production question goes,entire volumes have been written on this. As I'm standing in a cold warehouse in Blackburn (no sign of all those holes the Beatles sang about!) I can't get to the ones I own and am wondering when someone else will be brave enough to try and answer in less than,say two hundred words :)
Cheers
Steve

The tail wheel of the K-4 was 350 x 135.

The Prien/Rodeike 109 book has very extensive descriptions of each 109 model. ISBN 0-88740-424-3

I know that the tail wheel support strut was lengthened to provide better ground handling abilities and better taxiing visibility. Tell me, what were the Hungarians producing around the same time as the K-model was being introduced? I know that Hungary is said to be the largest foreign operator of the Bf.109. I very highly doubt that Germany was producing so many of these for just one export, though I'm not saying the numbers exported weren't sizable. some had to be produced in Hungary herself, just like with the Heja I/II and the Me.410C-1a. What was the Hungarian aviators getting from Germany in late 1944, and what were they making themselves?
Royal Hungarian Air Force operated three D-1s, 50 E-3/-4s, 66 F-4s and ~490 G-2/-4/-6/-8/-10/-14s.
259fl8m.jpg

sbh6jd.jpg

The last planes to be produced @ the Győr Hungary plant would be the Me 109G-6/Y. Right up to late 1944. The lastest Me's Hungary recieved would be Erla built G-10's G-14's.

101. Vadaszezred 'Pumas' for 1944 recieved around 400 Me 109G-6, G-14, G-10 fighters during 1944. About 60 G-14, G-10's were imported from Germany. A number of G-14's / G-10's surrendered at Deutsch Brod with JG 52 JG 101 machines.

I know, right? it bugs me when i see reference and visual information thats incorrect
that pic is in my collection but i dont really regard it as non-fiction

The only three Me 109K-4 I know of, Werknummers 333209 / 333878 / 333958 were delivered to 3Sq. 1Gr.C on 28.2.45

Luck. usually if you Type ' work number xxxxxx' instead of ' werknummer xxx xxx ' or ' W.Nr.xxx xxx ' you'll get more hits becouse english use the first example more often to describe.

But if I can help and have the info, I'll present it to you.

nothing about it says bf.109 to me. the entire cowl gun mounting is raised above the cowl lines. there is an erla canopy on the same aircraft that has a partially retracted tail wheel. the f's that did this for example had a dip in the fuselage for the wheel, as this one doesnt. the loop is sideways, not one i ever saw on another 109. At first i thought it was something like what the hungarians did to the Heja I to make the Heja II, but instead to a 109, but i dont have any record of any distinct hungarian 109 projects and variants that are this strange

Last edited:
I know this picture from the book BF 109 The Augsburg Eagle by William Green. Quite a well writen book. The caption mentions: "Bf 109G-14/u2 of the Hungarian 101 Fighter Group, South Germany, april 1945. Note non-standard spinner, lack of dorsal radio mast and provision of FuG 16ZY Morane antenna"

Seems indeed like a hybrid to me. The tail is identical to the k4 pictured just 2 pages before this one, but that nose just can't be right. Can it? Did the Hungarians use a alternative cowl or did the artist have a bad day?

Hmmm well it has been over 60 years. knowledge fades over time. was it an actual picture, or a color profile drawing? because the caption for the picture i posted also said Bf.109G-14/U2 but i can find nothing on the internet about that variant. it seems nonexistant

The tail is the most hybrid part. it has no whole dip upwards in the fuselage. here ill show you what im talking about
slk41d.jpg

see how the entire line of the bottom rear fuselage dips up? on the K its a straight line to the tail rudder. the weird profile has a straight line, but somehow it features a semi-retractable tailwheel just like the F-model

Hmmm well it has been over 60 years. knowledge fades over time. was it an actual picture, or a color profile drawing? because the caption for the picture i posted also said Bf.109G-14/U2 but i can find nothing on the internet about that variant. it seems nonexistant

No such thing as a G-14/U2.. pure fairytale, most likely a G-14/U4. I have Augsburg Last Eagles by Brett Green, and that profile (post #33) is nowhere in that book.

The tail is the most hybrid part. it has no whole dip upwards in the fuselage. here ill show you what im talking about
slk41d.jpg

see how the entire line of the bottom rear fuselage dips up? on the K its a straight line to the tail rudder. the weird profile has a straight line, but somehow it features a semi-retractable tailwheel just like the F-model
That would be Galland's machine. K's had two clamshell doors that covered the tailwheel.

Yeah im aware that its Galland's. Im simply showing an F-model to show how its semi retract gear was coupled with the fuselage dip

Yeah im aware that its Galland's. Im simply showing an F-model to show how its semi retract gear was coupled with the fuselage dip
Yes you are correct. never-the-less its very easy to distingush between the F K series. Even K-series compared to everything else. The trick is separating G-14/AS fotos from G-10 fotos. Stock camo schemes help, as each plant ( Mtt-Reg / Erla / WNF / there sub-plants had there own ideas. Information markings also.. eg: MW-50 triangles, all three plants used different ones on different plane, nail that, and you have a pretty good idea what your looking at. Oil cooler width depth can tell you what engine it may be, it goes on and on. looking at the basic airframe of G-14AS / G-10 dosn't really say much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back