Difference between G and K model Bf.109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Im very ill-knowledgable to luftwaffe camo schemes with accompanying pictures and profiles. is there any threads on her or sites that can help me with that? because the bf.109s presence in wwii is a very complex one compared to most other planes in history

I doubt one single thread can contain the discussion about a complete Bf.109 conversation, with everything about the 109 being discussed

I doubt one single thread can contain the discussion about a complete Bf.109 conversation, with everything about the 109 being discussed
Books are your best bet. I have 43 books on Luftwaffe a/c's but damned if they can even agree on colours alone LOL. Techincal specs all seem to agree on however.

Lol and what happened to the Germans meticulous documentation of everything going on?

Lol and what happened to the Germans meticulous documentation of everything going on?
Most of it destroyed at European wars end. For fear it could be used to resurect Hitler I guess. I have RLM stencils docs, camo pattern docs, for almost every -109 made. Colours are the tricky part, for the most part I reley on this:

rlm_colours.jpg

I understand Germany's allies used these very same colors later in the war, like the ANR, Hungarian air force, and Bulgarian air force, as i noticed on that colors of the bulgarian dewoitine d.520 thread

I understand Germany's allies used these very same colors later in the war, like the ANR, Hungarian air force, and Bulgarian air force, as i noticed on that colors of the bulgarian dewoitine d.520 thread
And JG units used Italian colours, especially in the MTO as seen by some Me 109's in JG 77 in 1944. Even RLM colours were getting scarce. Some K's had little to no paint on the undersides.

Last edited:
i keep wondering with all the bombing going on how they were even able to get simple things like paint

Its amazing that with the astounding success of fighter-bombers reaping on the western front that the germans were able to keep up any fight at all into 1945. did the bf.109s or fw.190s ever score appreciable kill totals against the typhoons and tempests, especially the latter?

rather not get into the #'s game cause the 'allies shot everything down' ' no way Hartmann got 300 kills ' group will come in and start WWIII. lol. It always turns into a pissing match. All I'll say is JG 11 was fairly successful.

So i also heard that large(fairly large) numbers of Bf.109s were lost in ground accidents, mainly due to undercarriage, did the longer tailwheel of the later g series solve this problem effectively?

Yet another pee-match area. Again all I'll say it was no worse then any other frontline fighter.

I'm surprised noone has pointed out that a longer tail wheel strut gave better ground clearance for carrying a bomb. Most single engined Luftwaffe types were envisaged in a fighter bomber role towards the end.
Cheers
Steve

Carrying a bomb? i saw bf.109 carry all sorts of bombs, but i never really thought they were effective fighter-bombers. i never really heard much success about the Jabo units equipped with 109s

There were a few dedicated JaBo gruppen in some units, mostly in the Ost front, N.Africa also. A long tailwheel meant one could carry a AB/SC500 bomb under a 109. II./JG 51 when at East Prussia used 109's for bombing.

You'll notice a thin red line running across the canopy,particularly the later 'Erla' versions,on some Bf109s. This is a dive angle indicator for bombing missions.
Cheers
Steve.

Jabo units were first ordered on the western front during Sept 1940. Each single-engine fighter unit had to convert a staffeln to jabo for day-light attacks while the multi-engined bombers continued the blitz during the night.

For sheer nuisance value (not forgetting the resouces diverted to trying to do something about them) I imagine jabo fighters have a hugly disproportionate effect make highly cost-effective units, at least in a situation where your fighters are decently matched against the enemies defences their own fighters.
Throw in proximity fuzes fighter belts in great numbers dealing with small numbers suddenly that effect tails off drastically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back