Difference between G and K model Bf.109 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Me 109 G:
"Speed at 150 knots or less, gear select to DOWN and activate the button and feel the gear come down asymmetrically. Check the mechanical indicators (ignore the electric position indicators), pitch fully fine... fuel - both boost pumps ON. If you have less than 1/4 fuel and the rear pump is not on the engine may stop in the three-point attitude. Rad flaps to full open and wings flaps to 10 degrees to 15 degrees. As the wing passes the threshold downwind - take all the power off and roll into the finals turn, cranking the flap like mad as you go. The important things is to set up a highish rate of descent, curved approach. The aircraft is reluctant to lose speed around finals so ideally you should initiate the turn quite slow at about 100-105. Slats normally deploy half way round finals but you the pilot are not aware they have come out. The ideal is to keep turning with the speed slowly bleeding, and roll out at about 10 feet at the right speed and just starting to transition to the three point attitude, the last speed I usually see is just about 90; I'm normally too busy to look after that!
The '109 is one of the most controllable aircraft that I have flown at slow speed around finals, and provided you don't get too slow is one of the easiest to three point. It just feels right ! The only problem is getting it too slow. If this happens you end up with a very high sink rate, very quickly and absolutely no ability to check or flare to round out. It literally falls out of your hands !
Once down on three points the aircraft tends to stay down - but this is when you have to be careful. The forward view has gone to hell and you cannot afford to let any sort of swing develop. The problem is that the initial detection is more difficult. The aeroplane is completely unpredictable and can diverge in either direction. There never seems to be any pattern to this. Sometimes the most immaculate three pointer will turn into a potential disaster half way through the landing roll. Other times a ropey landing will roll thraight as an arrow!"

source - Mark Hanna of the Old Flying Machine Company flying the OFMC Messerschmitt Bf 109 G

Me 109 G:
"I didn't notice any special hardships in landings."

source -Jorma Karhunen, Finnish fighter ace. 36 1/2 victories, fighter squadron commander. Source: Hannu Valtonen, "Me 109 ja Saksan sotatalous" (Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the German war economy), ISBN 951-95688-7-5.

Im having a bit of confusion on when the mk108 30mm cannon was introduced into the 109 series. what models first sported the 30mm instead of the 20mm?

Did the K's have it as standard or was there just a mix of specifications for K weapons?
Standard in WNF built G-6.. almost every pic I see of one as the compress air fill for the 3cm cannon. K-series also had Std. 3cm cannon. All K's except for just a few were built at Mtt-Reg.

You can see it here:

agpvbcgc.jpg

Ahh ok. just out of curiosity, is that a captured P-51 in the background?

Is it JA28? Just to be sure. and while i look it up, do you happen to have any pictures of slovak bf.109G-6s that are not insurgent affiliated?

That photo is very interesting! Thanks for sharing it. The P-51 looks like an early 361st FG machine, judging by the minimal yellow nose colouring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back