Differences Fw190A-5 vs A-6?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by drat, Jan 14, 2006.

1. drat

drat New Member

Hi guys, Im wondering if some of you could shed some light on this topic for me. I've read a few sources
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avfw190.html

... that say the A6 had a larger wing than the A5. The source above being one that makes the strongest mention of it. Other sources simply say the wings where different.

Besides armament, were there any changes made to the A-6's wings coming from the A-5? Or are sources like the one above simply wrong?

If they were different... What were the external differences of the wings between the A-5 and A6?

2. KraziKanuK

KraziKanuK Banned

The wing of the A-5 and A-6 were the same size. The A-6 wing was redesigned to be stronger.

3. me262

me262 Member

focke wulf undertook some redesign of the wing structure, the modified win was tested on the fw 190 a-5/u10 (werk-nr 861) and adopted as standard for the next a series production model, the fw 190 a-6 which reache the assambly lines in june 1943
    so the a-5 was only a test plane for the wing

4. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    That was my understanding of it. Except I would not say the A-5 was only the test bed of the A-6 because the A-6 was a production version of the A-5/U-10. Also they build 723 of the A-5. I believe the wing structure of the A-6 was also lighter after the modifications to it.