Dirt VS concrete runways...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most major airports sweep their rwys about once a week also they sweep them with a magnetic device to pick up fod

pbfoot said:
Most major airports sweep their rwys about once a week also they sweep them with a magnetic device to pick up fod

Very very true - I'm the airfield FOD monitor at the USAFA starting April 1st.....

In WW2 FOD wasn't a major concern but was considered when performing aircraft maintenance and during flight operations. Allowing FOD to damage an aircraft is the same as allowing your enemy to shoot you down with no effort to evade.....

the best job was going out to scare birds 2 miles of concrete no speed limits a box of shells and a shotgun one time I was out checking the noisemakers was asked to clear rwy as a four ship of Gaf f4s took off was about 10metres from edge of rwy with passenger window closed the f4s burners kicked in right beside where I was parked the window being closed opposite me kinda intensified the racket which was further enhanced when the noisemaker cannon went of right afterwards also pointing in the window it was very very loud and painful and a learning experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back