Dive bombing (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Small article on dive bombing.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Dive bombing.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 509
  • Dive bombing 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
  • Dive bomber 3.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
Hi Micdrow,

>Small article on dive bombing.

Highly interesting!

Does anyone know more about the expert Rougeron mentioned in that article? I have only once before encountered his name - he seems to have been an influential advocate of the unarmed high-speed bomber, judging from the context he was mentioned in.

It's my impression that he might have influenced air warfare theory a bit like Mitchell or Douhet, although he obviously is less well-known than these two :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi again,

>Does anyone know more about the expert Rougeron mentioned in that article?

I visited the aviation museum in Hannover-Laatzen today and found in their museum shop an antiquarian book by Camille Rougeron et al., dating from the early 1960s.

It seems to strike a good balance between introductory text and overview of the state-of-the-art of the time, providing insights into design considerations that are skipped by most books.

Anyway, if you feed google Camille Rougeron's full name, you'll find some stuff on him.

He was in fact an advocate of the high-speed bomber, and had published his thoughts on air warfare in a book called "L´Aviation de Bombardement" in 1937. Apparently, he pointed out the vulnerability of reservoir dams to air attack in that book, so I wonder if he provided the inspiration for the British dambuster raids. According to Helmuth Euler, he definitely provided the inspiration for the German air defense of the dams.

Have a look at this document:

http://www.absatz-dtp-service.de/pdf/Wasserkrieg_opt.pdf

The text is in German, but the (peacetime) aerial photographs of the dams with the attack paths sketched in are quite interesting.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Many thanks Henning, like you said the pictures of the dam and aircraft pictures are interesting. Wish I could read german though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back