Dive limit of Ki-61/100 and others

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
Supposedly according to an official Kawasaki report the dive limit of the Ki-61/100 was at least 850 km/h. This was because of the allegedly three spars which made the main components of the long slender yet sturdy wing with high-aspect ration. I could identify only one main spar on cut-away drawings though, like the Me 109 had. The 109's dive limit was about 750 km/h (the Mustang made up to 820 km/h) with a considerably shorter wing which makes me question the Kawasaki number. Also the Japanese planes were known to be build especially light so they should not be able to match Western fighters in a dive imo.

Anybody know more?

Last edited:
Supposedly according to an official Kawasaki report the dive limit of the Ki-61/100 was at least 850 km/h. This was because of the allegedly three spars which made the main components of the long slender yet sturdy wing with high-aspect ration. I could identify only one main spar on cut-away drawings though, like the Me 1 this9 had. The 109's dive limit was about 750 km/h (the Mustang made up to 820 km/h) with a considerably shorter wing which makes me question the Kawasaki number. Also the Japanese planes were known to be build especially light so they should not be able to match Western fighters in a dive imo.

Anybody know more?
I do not have my book on the Kawasaki fighters where i am the next weeks, and doubt I could inform you much on specifics about the structure of the 61/100 wing anyway.

However, even if we accept that Japanese planes were especially lightly built in general (and i strongly suspect the picture is more nuanced than that, for an example the G4M should have been structurally rather strong), the Hien did not follow this building trend. On encountering it, the allies clearly realized that it was quite different from the Ki 43 in nearly every respect, initially suspecting it to be strongly influenced by German designs.

Thanks.
What do you mean about the G4M?
It was proverbially easy to set on fire, and entirely lacked armour until late into the war. However, on occasions they were badly shot up and, miraculous not catching fire or loosing critical crew, made it back to base despite heavy damage. So the famous vulnerability was not on account of disintegrating when hit, but rather lack of passive protection, a very large amount of fuel to hit and large size in addition to an often dangerous attack profile (torpedo attack).

Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw the point specifically made, it is quite a while ago.

Last edited:
There is the question of what dive limit different countries used, was it speed before breakup, speed when control is lost, or speed when hard maneouvering forces can damage plane etc etc

Apparently the tall tail on Me109's was made to increase dive recovery control at high speeds, and they said even the test pilots should have been paid a bonus for testing it out, and service pilots should not be expected to do that kind of work!

I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Stuff), too. Been reading about WWII aviation since the 1950s. There is a LOT out there, but where did I SEE that ONE bit of trivia?
Some guy in another group claimed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back