'Diver Bird' - 1/32nd scale Spitfire MkXIVc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much indeed chaps.
Lee, no problem mate. Get a roll of 'hairy mat' grass from a model shop or model railway shop. Cut to the required size and glue to a piece of MDF, using PVA glue. Once dry, dampen the areas you wish to have as 'bare' patches, and scrape off the 'grass' fibres. Keep these, and let them dry out. Paint the 'bare' patches the required earth colour, bearing in mind the geographic location, time of year and weather (for the time depicted), then sprinkle and place the retained grass fibres onto the wet paint, forming clumps of thinned 'grass'. If you want a more textured look to these areas, either coat in glue and sprinkle on an appropriate coloured 'scatter' material, again from the same sources, or add some to the wet paint.
Rub a clothes brush or similar against your trousers, to create a static charge, and gently run over the base. This causes the fibres to 'stand up', looking like blades of grass.
Bingo! One attractive base.
The 'grass' fibres are also available as separate items, applied by sprinkling on to a coat of thin adhesive, then doing the 'static' thing; hence the name 'Static Grass', and are avilable in different colours, and also as 'long' grass etc, for railways, which can represent maybe 150mm tall grass in larger scales. Another product, known as 'Tufts', for making foliage, is good in 1/48th scale upwards for representing 'rough' grass, weeds etc.

Last edited:
Wonderful Terry. I fall in and out of love with the Spit. But 5 blades and a Griffon engine does something for me when she's dressed with a Malcolm hood. Very nice.

that is truly a lovely spit..i dont fancy the spit much but you gave it all the credit and looks that it deserve as a real warbird..so i actually fancy it a bit more now..hehe
Great work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back